Railroad Forums 

• cne tour

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #309  by cvra7

Looking forward to CNE 2004 - touring CNE's western reaches.
 #478  by Bernie Rudberg

All 110 bus seats are sold out. The souvenir guide book is nearing completion with the page count around 225.

It should be a good tour this year. Keep your fingers crossed for good weather.

Bernie Rudberg
 #14238  by CVRA7

Had a wonderful All-Explore Weekend on the 17 & 18 of April. First, having the SNE Tour from Palmer-Woonsocket was an interesting experience - don't know if the bus driver thought so, though! This tour was sponsored by veteran excursion operator Mass. Bay Railroad Enthusiasts, and featured the leadership talents of noted railroad achaeologist Vic Campbell and author Larry Lowenthal, who wrote the "Titanic Railroad" story of the line. Vic also leads tours on the region's first commercial railway, the Granite of Quincy, Mass.
The next day it was off to the 3rd CNE Tour, which I guess you could say was self-sponsored as there is no formally organized group behind it. This tour covered the lines between Canaan and Silvernails, via Millerton and Pine Plains. An excellent guide was produced by author and historian Bernie Rudberg, who has written "Twenty-Five Years on the ND&C", an account of the Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut predecessor of the CNE. Bernie, Lee Beaujon, Richard DuPuis. Phil Lechak and Jack Swanberg were some of the leaders of this experience, which filled two full-sized motor coaches.
I have been exploring these lines for over 30 years but always learn more on these trips. If you are at all interested in learning more about these lines don't miss the opportunity to take one. The SNE tour was billed as the final tour, but I am sure that if enough interest was demonstrated, another would be run. Watch this and the NHRHTA websites for future announcements.

#14372  by bellstbarn

Many thanks to all whose work produced an outstanding, informative tour Sunday, April 18, 2004. It turned out to be a beautiful day for the hundred-plus people arriving at the Canaan, Connecticut, Union Station, to trace the Central New England Railway west to Pine Plains, New York. Some enthusiasts were Canaanites, walking from their homes. Two historians, I believe, came from the Pacific coast.
I have many to thank. First, thanks to Lee Beaujon, who narrated some of the walking tours and provided other commentary on our bus. (There were two buses.) I appreciate Phil Lechak’s great planning and those who produced and assembled that magnificent collection of articles, maps, and data. Thanks to Richard Dupuis for handling the tickets, a sell-out. Only after the trip did I realize how much Bernie Rudberg contributed, particularly regarding the Newburgh, Dutchess, and Connecticut Railroad. Others who shared their photos, maps, and timetables for the 245-page trip binder deserve loud applause. I am still studying the information. Down through the years, those interested in the C.N.E. have generously shared their knowledge and photos. I recall Winsted people sixty years ago letting Dad borrow old glass or film negatives for reprints. I particularly appreciate the friendly courtesy of all who managed the trip, helping us park, obtaining the mid-morning coffee, and planning a most appropriate schedule.
Thanks to the drivers and management of Kelley Transit of Torrington for clean buses, smooth, safe driving, and a willingness to travel unusual routes
(Probably more comments later.) Joe McMahon
 #14816  by Bernard Rudberg

The 2004 CNE Spring Tour was a great success. The weather was sunny and all 110 bus seats
were sold out. We started from the partially restored station at Canaan CT. After a walking tour
of the Canaan yard complex the buses headed west along the old CNE Rwy line. Stops in CT
included a coffee break stop and two model exhibits in Salisbury followed by Lakeville station
which is now a radio station.

Farther west in NY state we had lunch in Pine Plains and toured the remaining ND&C freight
house and engine house still in use on railroad Avenue. Next stop was the water plug still
standing at Silvernails in Columbia County NY. We took the usual group photo at Silvernails
which is now part of a horse breeding farm. The owners of Silvernails Farms painted the water
plug in honor of our tour.

The route back included such RR stops as Bethel, Shekomeko, Husteds and Winchells. The cuts
over Winchell Mountain were well known for being completely filled with snow in the infamous
blizzard of 1888. Millerton NY had freight service connecting to the NYC Harlem Line until
1958 with the empties being rolled through town down to the interchange by gravity. The cars
were pushed up the hill by a truck and returned down the hill with men on the hand brakes. Last
stop was State Line. All that is left there is a granite marker and the outline of the wye.

All 110 travelers arrived back at Canaan station parking lot with big smiles and each had a copy
of the 245 page souvenir guide book. The big question was " Where are we going on next years
tour ? "

Bernie Rudberg

#23357  by Jack Shufelt

Regarding the handling of cars of coal, lumber and cement from the NYC interchange at Millerton to Reed's siding on the old CNE. The cars were pulled up the hill rather than being pushed. A chain was wrapped around the drawbar and hooked to a truck.

Jack Shufelt
 #25270  by jeteye1717

Hi,

> All 110 travelers arrived back at Canaan station parking lot with big smiles,
> and each had a copy of the 245 page souvenir guide book.

By any chance were 'extra' copies of this guidebook produced? I was out of town and couldn't make this year's trip, but would be interested in purchasing a copy of the guidebook if that's possible. Does anyone have a name/e-mail address of someone I could contact to make inquiries?

Many thanks in advance - Jim
 #25396  by Bernard Rudberg

I am the one who put the CNE 2004 guide book together. I have the master copy which will provide some of the input for next years book. We print only enough copies for the people who are on the tour and we don't usually sell copies ( for copyright reasons etc.)

Bernie Rudberg Wappingers Falls NY USA
 #25594  by jeteye1717

Thanks for your quick reply to my earlier query .... I can understand why copyright issues could potentially be a concern should you sell copies of this book; I'm sure you intend it as a 'free' souvenir to those who've paid for the bus tour. Ahh well; I guess this means I'll just have to try harder to insure I'm onboard the bus for NEXT year's tour ....

Cheers - Jim
 #45313  by steve levine

Your story made me chuckle.Down in the "holler's" of West Virgina,and out on the mine spurs.It is still common place to use trucks to shove empties,and tractors or front end loaders with chains are used to shove the full hoppers onto the sidings.