Railroad Forums 

• (virtual) Chester Erie depot

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#939717  by walterconklin

Hello,

Frank Thomas, who lives in Great Britain, created a wonderful scale model of the Chester, NY Eire Railroad depot.

Here are some screenshots of the work-in-progress on the model created for the Microsoft Train Simulator Tristate_Rails route.

Sincerely,
Walter
 #939847  by Roadgeek Adam

No chance you could get the sign attached? Also I think there should be a grade crossing at the southernmost edge of the second shot.
 #939870  by Marty Feldner

No grade crossing, anywhere near the Chester station- the terrain there isn't exactly conducive. The only thing there now (not then) is a paved access to the current rail-trail on the old ROW. Meadow Avenue does cross under the main, about 50 yards east of the station.
 #939925  by Roadgeek Adam

Marty Feldner wrote:No grade crossing, anywhere near the Chester station- the terrain there isn't exactly conducive. The only thing there now (not then) is a paved access to the current rail-trail on the old ROW. Meadow Avenue does cross under the main, about 50 yards east of the station.
Ah ok, being there myself, I thought that crossing was always there.
 #940826  by RussNelson

Marty Feldner wrote:No grade crossing, anywhere near the Chester station- the terrain there isn't exactly conducive. The only thing there now (not then) is a paved access to the current rail-trail on the old ROW. Meadow Avenue does cross under the main, about 50 yards east of the station.
This is the Meadow Avenue bridges. I say "bridges" because there is one double-tracked bridge for the main, plus another bridge which is structurally separate from the first. It carried a spur track into town, almost certainly to the building standing by itself.
Attachments:
IMG_20110612_114421-smaller.jpg
IMG_20110612_114421-smaller.jpg (118.57 KiB) Viewed 5340 times
 #1009785  by Roadgeek Adam

TDowling wrote:Just a heads up: The Porte-Cochere on the east facade of the station no longer exists.
Was there a cited reason why?
 #1011106  by Marty Feldner

TDowling wrote:Just a heads up: The Porte-Cochere on the east facade of the station no longer exists.
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. I swung by the station Wednesday afternoon, and everything is as in peterde's photos.

The porte-cochere is the covered street-side entry (with the stone arch); it is intact. The station platform roof is still there, in the same configuration as when it was built in 1915...
 #1011373  by TDowling

Ah, I was under the impression that the porte-cochere was that small staircase leading to the door on the east facade of the station, not the stone archway in the front. THAT no longer exists. In fact, if you look at one of the current photos, you can see a faded spot around one of the windows where it used to be.

Thank you for the correction, Mr. Feldner
 #1011748  by peterde

TDowling wrote:Ah, I was under the impression that the porte-cochere was that small staircase leading to the door on the east facade of the station, not the stone archway in the front. THAT no longer exists. In fact, if you look at one of the current photos, you can see a faded spot around one of the windows where it used to be.

Thank you for the correction, Mr. Feldner
I think I see what you mean. Looks like there used to be a door and a stoop with stairs where a window is now. If I remember correctly that side was the men's waiting room. the women waiting room is on the opposite side, and the ticket master was in the middle in between them.
 #1011751  by Marty Feldner

TDowling wrote: Thank you for the correction, Mr. Feldner
After looking through numerous pictures of the station through the years, what you were talking about was a small loading platform and freight door on the east wall. Almost certainly for express (REA), since the baggage room was on the west end of the building. Photos I have or have access to are inconclusive as to whether the platform was original to the building in 1915, or added later.

In the mid to late 1990's, the building was being restored by the Chester Historical Society for use as their headquarters and museum; it was during this restoration that the platform was removed and the door filled in, and replaced with a window matching the rest.