Railroad Forums 

• EL MU/Locomotive in Tabor Lake???

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#237394  by NHRR WTBY

There's a story told by the folks who spend the summer on Tabor Lake of a derailment that occurred there many years ago. They say a piece of rolling stock is still in the bottom of the lake, near Mount Tabor station. I find this hard to believe, as Tabor "Lake" is really more of a pond. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this tale?
 #237411  by njt4172

NHRR WTBY wrote:There's a story told by the folks who spend the summer on Tabor Lake of a derailment that occurred there many years ago. They say a piece of rolling stock is still in the bottom of the lake, near Mount Tabor station. I find this hard to believe, as Tabor "Lake" is really more of a pond. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this tale?

Wow, never heard this one before! I don't even think the depth of Tabor lake could hold a sunken passenger car. If it did happen, it probably happened before 1930 before electrification...

It was probably just some campfire story when that area was once a SUMMER RESORT. Rubbish if u ask me!
 #237516  by henry6

Having lived in Denville from 1946, and virtually at the railroad station and tower from @56 through 61, having spent hundreds of Fri. and other nights with the railfan gathering at Denville through the 70s, I think I can vouch for the fact that there is no train at the bottom of Tabor Lake. However, if anyone can find lever 51 on the interlocking machine in the tower, and can move it so as to let all the water out of Estlintg Lake, something new might surface there!
 #237547  by njt4172

henry6 wrote:Having lived in Denville from 1946, and virtually at the railroad station and tower from @56 through 61, having spent hundreds of Fri. and other nights with the railfan gathering at Denville through the 70s, I think I can vouch for the fact that there is no train at the bottom of Tabor Lake. However, if anyone can find lever 51 on the interlocking machine in the tower, and can move it so as to let all the water out of Estlintg Lake, something new might surface there!
Henry,

Were you kidding?? Or is there really a lever 51 to empty out Estling Lake?? That would flood most of downtown Denville...

Steve
 #237565  by Idiot Railfan

henry6 wrote:Having lived in Denville from 1946, and virtually at the railroad station and tower from @56 through 61, having spent hundreds of Fri. and other nights with the railfan gathering at Denville through the 70s...
Hey, I remember those Fridays in Denville! Must have seen you there! I was about 14 or 15. Then Conrail pulled most of the through freights, about the same time I discovered girls, so the timing kind of worked out...
 #237580  by henry6

njt4172 wrote:
henry6 wrote:Having lived in Denville from 1946, and virtually at the railroad station and tower from @56 through 61, having spent hundreds of Fri. and other nights with the railfan gathering at Denville through the 70s, I think I can vouch for the fact that there is no train at the bottom of Tabor Lake. However, if anyone can find lever 51 on the interlocking machine in the tower, and can move it so as to let all the water out of Estlintg Lake, something new might surface there!
Henry,

Were you kidding?? Or is there really a lever 51 to empty out Estling Lake?? That would flood most of downtown Denville...

Steve
I never found the lever. I was not a railroad employee, and never had to qualify, so didn't bother looking too hard for it. You would have to ask an ex towerman or signal maintainer there about it. But note, emptying Estling Lake would only make Indian Lake deeper with the high waters never reaching the outlet at Den Brook.

#237613  by ryanov

You are wrong, matter of fact. Those are Comet IV's. The black border does not go past the disco stripes on a III.
 #237620  by henry6

Boy, after seeing the mappic it really looks like somebody has more time on thier hands than even I do! The items in the water (at an unknown location, by the way) do look like a reflection of a heavenly body of some type, and therefore, are probably Comets of somekind!

#237621  by Uzi-Cat

Take that picture down quick. We tied our train down in Dover yard a few weeks back and noticed 2 missing cars. Nobody caught it so I figured we were home free. I guess I am going to be paying for those for a long time.

#237629  by Idiot Railfan

wpdj61 wrote:Take that picture down quick. We tied our train down in Dover yard a few weeks back and noticed 2 missing cars. Nobody caught it so I figured we were home free. I guess I am going to be paying for those for a long time.
I wondered why there have been fewer cars on the Boonton Line lately...

#237643  by nick11a

Haha. Oh gosh.

#237686  by Uzi-Cat

Comet V = Future Coral Reef

#237718  by nick11a

wpdj61 wrote:Comet V = Future Coral Reef
And some are rusting already (above sea/lake level).

#237815  by Idiot Railfan

nick11a wrote:
wpdj61 wrote:Comet V = Future Coral Reef
And some are rusting already (above sea/lake level).
Are you implying that the current Comets are populated by parasites and other various bottom-dwellers?!?