Railroad Forums 

• Silverliner II Original (1960's) Interiors

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#934228  by SubwayTim

Does anyone remember what the original 1960's Silverliner II interiors looked like??? Were they pretty much the same as they are today (same "ketchup and mustard" seats, etc.)? Are there any pics of the Silverliner II and III "as delivered" interiors??? Thanks.
 #934306  by dcipjr

I believe the best way to see what they would have looked like is to ride cars #259, #269, #9012, or #9015. Those four are still active, and have the brown pleather / vinyl seating.

Here's a picture from inside #269:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2243238

I'm not positive that the brown vinyl is the original, as-delivered material -- I remember reading here that some of the cars (may have been the Reading) had grey vinyl. Does anyone know whether the material in #259, #269, etc. is original to the car? Or why these cars didn't have their seats replaced with ketchup and mustard?
 #934315  by SubwayTim

dcipjr wrote:I believe the best way to see what they would have looked like is to ride cars #259, #269, #9012, or #9015. Those four are still active, and have the brown pleather / vinyl seating.

Here's a picture from inside #269:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2243238

I'm not positive that the brown vinyl is the original, as-delivered material -- I remember reading here that some of the cars (may have been the Reading) had grey vinyl. Does anyone know whether the material in #259, #269, etc. is original to the car? Or why these cars didn't have their seats replaced with ketchup and mustard?
Now, I do take it that the "ketchup and mustard" seats that were on the Silverliner IV's were the as-delivered (mid 1970's) color and material, so I'm guessing that the Silverliner II's and III's had their "ketchup and mustard" seats installed after the delivery of the IV's so they would pretty much "match" the IVs' interiors. Correct me if I'm wrong.
 #1356695  by ex Budd man

No, the SL-LVs were built with fixed seats. The IIs and IIIs were flip over seats until probably 1990 or so. At first they were drilled and bolted but "somehow" the bolts went missing. Then they were welded for a more permanent fix. As a side note the seats in the Pioneer cars were different, having curved backs and different mountings.
 #1356696  by MichaelBug

No, the IV's never had flipover seats (as ex Budd man notes). The only change I can recall was that there was a small metal plate with a magnetic catch that swung to cover the word "NO" in "NO SMOKING" to note the cars where smoking was allowed. The plate had been removed in the above picture; it was located about where the "no smoking" logo decal is located.
 #1356701  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The NO SMOKING sign in the posted S4 picture were installed by SEPTA after smoking cars were eliminated.
The flip signs were removed and replaced with these fiberglass signs with the slash logo during the 1980s...

There were two variations of S4 seatbacks: The thick back seats used on the original order (PC 200s,300s
and RDG 9000s) and the thin back seats on the add-on order (PC high 300s, RDG 100s) that were used.

There were variations in seats in the S2 cars such as the thick high back ones that once were in car 269 -
Seats in some cars could still be flipped even though most were made stationary as Budd Man mentions...
The picture shows that uniform type brown seats were installed in 269 to replace these odd seats...

Most S2 seats were "earth tone" colors - maroon, beige or brown shades were most common.
Even with their 80s overhaul the seats in the S2 cars were not replaced as far as I recall...

MACTRAXX
 #1356704  by SubwayTim

According to Wikipedia, the original Silverliner II seats had a grey "diamond" pattern and were of foam rubber plush...obviously not vinyl or "pleather"...
 #1356810  by glennk419

SubwayTim wrote:According to Wikipedia, the original Silverliner II seats had a grey "diamond" pattern and were of foam rubber plush...obviously not vinyl or "pleather"...
I remember the Reading cars as having a grey / tan "tweed" and the side panels were a light tan. At that time, the Budds were a delight to ride, especially before the 1930's H&H cars were upgraded circa 1968. No mustard and ketchup back in the 60's.
 #1356819  by SubwayTim

glennk419 wrote:
SubwayTim wrote:According to Wikipedia, the original Silverliner II seats had a grey "diamond" pattern and were of foam rubber plush...obviously not vinyl or "pleather"...
I remember the Reading cars as having a grey / tan "tweed" and the side panels were a light tan. At that time, the Budds were a delight to ride, especially before the 1930's H&H cars were upgraded circa 1968. No mustard and ketchup back in the 60's.
I happened to come across this photo of a Silverliner II interior taken back in 1966 that I've downloaded from a Facebook page about a year ago. Due to the lighting conditions, it's hard to make out the actual color of the seats. I will post the photo once I get my internet back up on my home computer...if or when that will be...as I cannot edit the photo on my phone. Anyway, I'm also wondering what the Silverliner III's original interiors looked like...