Railroad Forums 

• What is your favorite SEPTA Regional Rail line?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#820395  by ekt8750

gprimr1 wrote:The Thorndale Line.

It's very interesting, especially with PRR phase break signals, and the relics of the old 52nd street station between 30th Street and Overbrook, and all the PRR junction stuff.
Where is there a phase break on the Thorndale Line?
 #820902  by South Jersey Budd

I'm surprised no one said the Doylestown Line.

I guess no one actually likes to ride it because of the poor scheduling............ it takes forever to make that round trip. One way is way over an hour, and the weekends are one hour plus too.

But the trip from Suburban Station to Doylestown goes from city to country from skyscrapers, to suburbs, to the farms and streams in the country.
 #820983  by BuddSilverliner269

South Jersey Budd wrote:I'm surprised no one said the Doylestown Line.

I guess no one actually likes to ride it because of the poor scheduling............ it takes forever to make that round trip. One way is way over an hour, and the weekends are one hour plus too.

But the trip from Suburban Station to Doylestown goes from city to country from skyscrapers, to suburbs, to the farms and streams in the country.
I mentioned Doylestown. Nice line indeed.
 #821214  by SeptaFan235

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:
South Jersey Budd wrote:I'm surprised no one said the Doylestown Line.

I mentioned Doylestown. Nice line indeed.

Yeah. Doylestown is one of my favorites as well. I really like the Lansdale Station. I think it is a very interesting station. I like the siding; where the trains come off of the single track and onto a bunch of other tracks and into Lansdale.
 #821222  by amtrakhogger

The R3 West Trenton (a.k.a. The RDG New York Branch) is my all time favorite. That owing to the fact that I grew up near the line.
 #821304  by Budd9001

When they were Passenger Lines, The Bethlehem Branch to Bethlehem and Allentown, from Bethlehem, you went in on Lehigh Valley Territory once you got past Bethlehem. What was intresting, when you came past Saucen Tower one you crossed over from Track once you passed Hellertown, you saw all kinds of Freight Trains, such as TV Trains, and espeacially Ore trains pulled with assorted power. The Next was going to Pottsville, once you got passeed Norristown, again you saw all sorts of Freight trains and Power coming passed NS Tower and Abrams. When you got out to Pottstown, you saw Pottstown Yard, which was mostly a Classification yard, cars were set out and picked up for a small daylight Drill job. Reading Yard was also intresting also. If you were the Conductor, you had to call in at Reading , report your consist, the lead RDC car, who was the C&E, and what time you would be arriving and departing Pottsville with the Head car in your consist. By the way, on your way to Pottsville, you stopped at North Broad, no stops to Norristown , then on to Pottsville you made every station stop.Valley forge, Phoenixville, Royersford, Pottstown, Birdsboro, Reading , Skychill Haven and Pottsville. Going to Newtown was good to. Once past Fox Chase, it was all Single track and you had to call in on a side wire at Fox Chase. Plus the Newtown was all Automatic Signal territory
 #822978  by Rail Boy

Of the current lines, West Trenton for the speed, Norristown for the scenery, and Cynwyd, well, just personal preference. While I would love to take a ride to West Chester, I think my only hopes of that are with my hiking shoes and a bottle of water. I missed out on the recent WCRR trips.

I hiked from Elwyn to West Chester back in 1994, and while I hope to do it again this fall, I fear the deterioration that I will see.
 #823717  by SeptaFan235

Rail Boy wrote:Of the current lines, West Trenton for the speed, Norristown for the scenery, and Cynwyd, well, just personal preference. While I would love to take a ride to West Chester, I think my only hopes of that are with my hiking shoes and a bottle of water. I missed out on the recent WCRR trips.

I hiked from Elwyn to West Chester back in 1994, and while I hope to do it again this fall, I fear the deterioration that I will see.

You would like riding the Media/Elwyn (West Chester) line. You should ride it some time. It has some nice scenery.