Railroad Forums 

• You really need a ticket now for platforms

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1496661  by train2

This my be old news but thought I would mention it: As an infrequent rider I had not been on the platforms since the AEM7s were retired. This week I noticed a change. I was aware previously that during rush hour one needed a ticket to show to a gate attendant at the major stations during rush hour to reach the platforms. Now I have noticed SEPTA has installed fencing and pedestrian gates that need a ticket to scan, similar to subway systems, at 30th street and Suburban and likely Market as well. The difference these are in place 24 hours now. A smaller number of attendants are in place to assist, but being able to go to the platforms freely at 30th has ended.

It would be easy to buy a ticket and go up, but unless you have a pass it limits being able to change platforms as different trains come and go.
 #1496668  by MACTRAXX

T2:

When exactly datewise was the last time you were in the Center City stations?

Over the course of 2018 weekday gating at the five Center City stations has been implemented
during the hours of 6AM to 8PM in which a ticket or pass is required for entry.
One way tickets are punched N going to the Reading side; S going to the Pennsy side and then
collected in the regular manner on board.

Saturday and Sunday gating hours at Suburban and Jefferson Stations only is from the hours of
10AM to 6PM. One way tickets are checked but not punched and than collected on board.

The turnstile banks are placed in a way in which a rider can go between platforms staying inside
the so-called "paid" area. The best example is how the "line" was set up at 30th Street.

For a running "play by play" about this subject see:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=156303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The current topic on the SEPTA Key has been dormant for a couple of weeks - this post
could revive it and add to the discussion...MACTRAXX
 #1496719  by Head-end View

Mactraxx is correct. I visited Phila. at the end of October 2018 and that system was in place then. I had a brief, pleasant chat with the lady attendants at the gates at 30th St. as I showed my Independence Pass. I share the concern about being able to switch platforms easily, especially if for example you're a railfan looking for Silverliner V trains to ride. LOL :wink:

Yes, you can switch platforms while staying in the paid area. But if you go for a cup of coffee or a snack or the rest rooms between trains, then you do have to go thru the fare gates again which is a nuisance. It was a lot more user and railfan friendly before the SEPTA Key System. :(
 #1496762  by MichaelBug

At Jefferson, there are two sets of restrooms in the (west) Section A - one pair each inside AND outside the "Paid" area. There is another set of restrooms in the (east) Section B, also inside the "Paid" area. So, a restroom break between trains would not be an issue at Jefferson as far as exiting the "Paid" area is concerned.

At Suburban, one of the service counters for the Dunkin' Dounts location closest to the corridor leading to 18th St. & JFK Blvd. (at the west end of the station in Section A) is within the "Paid" area. (The mobile order pickup area is OUTSIDE that area, but in my experience at that Dunkin, the staff will bring your order to the counter on the "Paid" side without any problem.) Not sure about the restroom layout at Suburban.
 #1496781  by train2

One oddity I did notice was at 30th there are a set of the ticket gates up on the platform near were a step well comes up from below. The one I noticed was west of the main stairs that come up in the glass areas on the 5/6 platfrom I think. I can't say in all my time at 30th I ever used that stairway where does it come from below in the station?

I guess the last time I was at 30th previously was late summer early fall. When you guys list hours what happens to these gates after hours, are they left open or just un-attended.
 #1496790  by dcipjr

Are you referring to the emergency exit stairs on the platform? There are emergency exit stairs on the west ends of the platform; I think they lead to the parking garage below, but I've never gone up or down them.

On the east ends of the platform, there are stairs to a currently-closed concourse in 30th Street. I've heard rumors that they're working on that part of the concourse and may open it back up; I'm not sure if anyone here knows any more and can comment.
 #1496796  by CNJGeep

MichaelBug wrote:Not sure about the restroom layout at Suburban.
Restrooms are located outside fare control (large) adjacent to Tk. 5 on the South end, and inside fare control (small) next to the Dunkin Donuts, also on the South end.
 #1496800  by ChrisinAbington

dcipjr wrote:Are you referring to the emergency exit stairs on the platform? There are emergency exit stairs on the west ends of the platform; I think they lead to the parking garage below, but I've never gone up or down them.
I believe these are the stairs you refer to. They simply exit directly onto 30th street.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9568374 ... 312!8i6656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The eastbound stairs do in fact all connect to a concourse. I snuck down there a time or two when the stair doors were open, and the hall looked to be in good shape. However, the stairs alone aren't ADA reliable for getting passengers between platforms.
I too remember that concourse mentioned in plans to renovate 30th Street station. My personal opinion is that the eastern concourse would have made an excellent choice to usher customers between platforms if a few elevators could be installed. I'd have that concourse be fare controlled, and the other existing one be free (with exit only turnstyles only at the top of the existing stairs/elevators. That way foot traffic to the Cira Center and the snack shops would be much easier to manage. However, I have no idea how the eastern concourse currently connects with the rest of the AMTRAK station..
 #1496826  by ExCon90

Head-end View wrote: It was a lot more user and railfan friendly before the SEPTA Key System. :(
You have to remember that the Key system was not designed for the convenience of the public but for the convenience of the Accounting Department--and evidently by people who derive a sense of accomplishment from reinventing the wheel.
 #1496918  by JimBoylan

ChrisinAbington wrote:
dcipjr wrote:The eastbound stairs do in fact all connect to a concourse. I snuck down there a time or two when the stair doors were open, and the hall looked to be in good shape. However, the stairs alone aren't ADA reliable for getting passengers between platforms.
There are also elevator shafts by those East end stairs. I don't know if they have elevators in them.
 #1496922  by mcgrath618

dcipjr wrote:Are you referring to the emergency exit stairs on the platform? There are emergency exit stairs on the west ends of the platform; I think they lead to the parking garage below, but I've never gone up or down them.

On the east ends of the platform, there are stairs to a currently-closed concourse in 30th Street. I've heard rumors that they're working on that part of the concourse and may open it back up; I'm not sure if anyone here knows any more and can comment.
If you’re referring to the abandoned El concourse, it is expected to reopen this year or the next.
 #1496930  by dcipjr

I was referring to the Northeast side of the station, there is a concourse there that is closed. The El connection is on the Southwest side of the station.

Very interesting, I hadn't heard that the El connection was going to reopen. Do you have a source? I thought that the connection was through where Bridgewater's Pub is now, so I'm not exactly sure how they could reopen it without relocating the Pub.
 #1496943  by Patrick Boylan

You're not the first to incorrectly say that the entrance to the El concourse is where the pub is. The entrance is in the middle of the aisle in front of the pub, not in the pub.
Also that El concourse once upon a time continued east under the lower level tracks, and had stairs to each lower level Amtrak platform.
 #1496966  by ChesterValley

Here's a link to the proposal: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... ix_web.pdf see page 26 for the underground design.

Some of the proposal sound weirdly corporate, like Rob the daily commuter getting a sandwich or Jason the "Active Local".

Regarding tickets for platforms, SEPTA doesn't enforce it after 10 PM as the ticket office closes then.
 #1497017  by dcipjr

Patrick Boylan wrote:You're not the first to incorrectly say that the entrance to the El concourse is where the pub is. The entrance is in the middle of the aisle in front of the pub, not in the pub.
Also that El concourse once upon a time continued east under the lower level tracks, and had stairs to each lower level Amtrak platform.
Interesting! I never knew that. I had heard that the concourse was under the pub on this board in other threads. So, it's in front? I'm trying to picture where—in the food court?