Railroad Forums 

• PPA owned SEPTA RR Parking lot fees doubled

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1324238  by zebrasepta

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20150 ... city_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The cost to park at the Philadelphia Parking Authority-owned lots at SEPTA Regional Rail stations in the city increased from $1 to $2 Wednesday.

PPA spokesman Martin O'Rourke said the increase was the first in 12 years.

The parking fee at SEPTA station lots outside the city remains at $1.

The PPA operates the lots at SEPTA's Torresdale, Fox Chase Rail and Fern Rock stations.
 #1324245  by zebrasepta

SCB2525 wrote:Gee whiz, the PPA raising rates? How unexpected.

How has that organization not been broken down and its responsibilities given back to the police?
they probably want to screw the passengers who use those stations...
 #1324268  by glennk419

The PPA needs to go the way of the Philadelphia Traffic Courts. Thank goodness I don't need to use those lots except (very infrequently) Fern Rock.
 #1324279  by The EGE

Try coming up to Boston sometime. Most of the commuter rail stations are $3-$4 a day or $50-$80 a month; the rapid transit park-and-ride stations are largely $7 per day (and still fill up).
 #1324308  by Suburban Station

The EGE wrote:Try coming up to Boston sometime. Most of the commuter rail stations are $3-$4 a day or $50-$80 a month; the rapid transit park-and-ride stations are largely $7 per day (and still fill up).
Philadelphia dramatically under prices parking. The main problem here is that it's the ppa not septa so no one has any confidence the money is going to a good place and second you have to pay in quarters. Let the rates rise which may give them the revenue to expand parking instead of using taxpayer transit dollars on parking. If people pay enough you can justify a garage (maybe not the absurdly expensive upper darby garage though)
 #1324316  by MACTRAXX

The EGE wrote:Try coming up to Boston sometime. Most of the commuter rail stations are $3-$4 a day or $50-$80 a month; the rapid transit park-and-ride stations are largely $7 per day (and still fill up).
...Or try parking at some LIRR and NJT stations in which cash fees are at least $3/day or more and I will add that some towns use a parking permit system in which
monthly fees are charged and in cases residents have priority over non residents with lower prices for these parking privileges...Penalties can be steep for those that
do not have a parking permit and make the mistake of parking in a permit only lot...Some stations even have privately owned pay lots...
My favorite example is Babylon (Babylon/Montauk Branch-LIRR) in which all of what I have mentioned can be found...

The PPA machines do accept dollar coins - and I would rather use two of them then eight quarters anyway - in parking lots that SEPTA controls that have the ticket
machine receipt system dollar coins are perfect for that $1 fee...

MACTRAXX