Railroad Forums 

• New Siemens Locomotives - Qty 13+5

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1308591  by nomis

From septa.org

Proposal Number | 14-237-JFK
High Speed Electric Locomotives
The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) is soliciting proposals for the purchase of a Base Order of 13 High Speed Electric Locomotives with Mandatory Options up to five (5) additional Locomotives.

Deadline for Proposals: February 13, 2015 at 4:30 PM
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Thu May 28, 2015 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Title altered per Poster's Request
 #1308630  by Clearfield

zebrasepta wrote:i wonder who will bid and does this mean SEPTA isn't getting ACS-64's?
SEPTA can't just buy them from Siemens. It has to go to bid. I'm sure the successful bidder will be Siemens since the specs are most likely the specs for the ACS64's.

Notes from yesterday's SEPTA Board meeting show that Rotem will refurb existing Bomb coaches for SEPTA as part of the liquidated damages from the late delivery of the SLV's.

Push Pull trains are in.
 #1308648  by sammy2009

Clearfield wrote:
zebrasepta wrote:i wonder who will bid and does this mean SEPTA isn't getting ACS-64's?
SEPTA can't just buy them from Siemens. It has to go to bid. I'm sure the successful bidder will be Siemens since the specs are most likely the specs for the ACS64's.

Notes from yesterday's SEPTA Board meeting show that Rotem will refurb existing Bomb coaches for SEPTA as part of the liquidated damages from the late delivery of the SLV's.

Push Pull trains are in.
Didn't SEPTA Already put another expression of interest in September for the samething ?.....But since this number of locos are for 13 and plus mandatory of 5 additional units is sounding to me like either they want spares , and or planning to expand the push-pull fleet, or maybe a little bit more of planned BI-LEVELS. How many locos do they currently have ? They may be adding the five additional for upswing in ridership trends.
 #1308650  by Fan Railer

sammy2009 wrote:
Clearfield wrote:

Push Pull trains are in.
Didn't SEPTA Already put another expression of interest in September for the samething ?.....But since this number of locos are for 13 and plus mandatory of 5 additional units is sounding to me like either they want spares , and or planning to expand the push-pull fleet, or maybe a little bit more of planned BI-LEVELS. How many locos do they currently have ? They may be adding the five additional for upswing in ridership trends.
SEPTA's current electric fleet consists of 2301 - 2308, iirc off the top of my head.
 #1308673  by glennk419

Fan Railer wrote:
sammy2009 wrote:
Clearfield wrote:

Push Pull trains are in.
SEPTA's current electric fleet consists of 2301 - 2308, iirc off the top of my head.
Correct.

Seven AEM7's - 2301 to 2307
One ALP44 - 2308

All un-rebuilt.
 #1308986  by Jersey_Mike

Unrebuilt, but low millage. SEPTA is literally that little old lady that only drives her car two and from mass every day. Again SEPTA has more pressing needs than new electric locomotives. How about Wawa service?
 #1308997  by eb684

Jersey_Mike wrote:Unrebuilt, but low millage. SEPTA is literally that little old lady that only drives her car two and from mass every day. Again SEPTA has more pressing needs than new electric locomotives. How about Wawa service?
Joe Casey has been quoted as saying that SEPTA spends more in maintenance costs for the eight locomotives than the entire MU fleet. The new electric locomotives are a hugely pressing need. I would conservatively estimate that I experience a mechanical failure on an electric locomotive about 1 in every 8 times I ride one, compared to almost never for the MU.
 #1309010  by Clearfield

ChemiosMurphy wrote:Jersey, I hope you're being facetious with the Wawa > operational fleet of locomotives comment.

They're unreliable and completely outdated. Enough is enough. Consistent service is paramount.
Since they will be the only AEM7's left operating in North America, they will literally be turned into toasters. The lone ALP44 is already the last of its species operating in North America.

Should we resurrect some Blueliners for Wawa service?
 #1309116  by Jersey_Mike

The SEPTA AEM-7's were some of the last manufactured in the late 1980's. Electric locomotives should have a service life of 30-40 years. I can excuse Amtrak because it doesn't know when its getting its next funding, but now it seems that everyone is looking at NJT as a role model and assuming it can replace its electrics after only 20 years.

If anyone knows about getting full life out of its equipment its SEPTA. Yes they got a funding increase, but rushing out and getting new electrics 10 years early only confirms what most people assume about government spending.

With Amtrak replacing its fleet there will be more than enough spare parts on the market to keep SEPTA's daily round trippers going.
 #1309139  by R3 Passenger

Amtrak's AEM-7s have undergone overhaul at least once in their lifetimes, with some being reborn as AEM-7ACs. SEPTA has not had its AEM-7 fleet overhauled at all. The problem is that the parts cannot be purchased anywhere anymore and all need to be manufactured and shopped inhouse, which costs time, labor, and money that just is not available while trying to keep the fleet afloat. This necessitates the purchase of new locomotives. It is cheaper in the long run for SEPTA to buy new than to try and overhaul their AEM-7s and lone ALP-44. Sure, they could get spare parts from the retired Amtrak locomotives, but those have so much wear and tear on them that they would only buy a few years for the AEM-7s at most. Forget about the ALP-44.

I don't think you ride this equipment on a regular basis. I do. Every. Single. Day. I can think of several instances when these locomotives have broken down in transit and left its passengers stranded and backed up trains down the Northeast Corridor. This is an immediate need for SEPTA. As are replacement of the bridges along the Media-Elwyn line. As are the replacement of the Static Frequency Converters at Wayne Junction. SEPTA needs to focus first on repairing, rebuilding, and replacing what it needs to run the system in its current state before focusing on system expansion and parking garages.
 #1309190  by ChemiosMurphy

bikentransit wrote:Why are getting parts for 35 year old electric vehicles so difficult? Put whatever is needed out on bid. The GG1s lasted 50 years as did the blues. This isn't rocket science.
Where do you go when no one manufactures the parts and/or they're incredibly expensive?

Why are we trying to keep locomotives that are clearly aged and unreliable? Nothing is more infuriating than walking into the office late since a train died and held yours up. I am shocked to see all the AEM-7/ALP-44 supporters here turning down the option of new motors.

Does anyone else here take the train to and from work everyday (R3 I know you do)? If so, you wouldn't be complaining about replacing those units.