Railroad Forums 

• Route 15 how long till return to east end

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1309079  by the sarge

bikentransit wrote:Even better is the trolley-bus schedules that lie. You'll never make the connection from bus to trolley at Front & Girard after 10pm and get stuck waiting 30 minutes in the cold because the trolley was late/shuttle bus left early/SEPTA running too few buses on the shuttle end. SEPTA sucks.
25Hz was finally asked to leave, do we really need any volunteers to take his place? Either way, you forgot to mention that there are no bathrooms at Front & Girard to use during the 30 minute wait in the ice cold elements unless you purchase a drink at The Saint :-D .
 #1309150  by bikentransit

Hey sarge you can get snarky all you like. Being in the transportation business, how many times have you waited in 20 degree winds waiting 30 or 40 minutes for a bus that was supposed to be there, or even better, walking from Front & Girard to Richmond & Allegheny because the the 2am bus never showed up and the clock now shows 2:55????? Seriously dude. I wouldn't recommend a SEPTA timetable to anyone to use as toilet paper.
 #1309156  by the sarge

bikentransit wrote:Hey sarge you can get snarky all you like. Being in the transportation business, how many times have you waited in 20 degree winds waiting 30 or 40 minutes for a bus that was supposed to be there, or even better, walking from Front & Girard to Richmond & Allegheny because the the 2am bus never showed up and the clock now shows 2:55????? Seriously dude. I wouldn't recommend a SEPTA timetable to anyone to use as toilet paper.

For about ten years, I rode the 15 about six days a week at all hours. Ten out of 30 years as regular transit rider. What this has to do about what I wrote on the current 15 construction and the outlandish routing beats the heck out of me. You whine and complain about being stuck outside in the cold and/or walking. Do you really think rerouting the 15 trolley down Aramingo to Thompson/Belgrade and creating more choke points will help the OTP?
 #1309160  by bikentransit

If the object is to pick up people, then it should be run down streets where people live. Last time I checked, no one lives along Richmond Street. The chief problem isn't OTP, it's unrealistic schedules and operators sleeping on the job (on the shuttle bus end). The trolley itself is hopeless. Those things can't get out of their own way, let alone navigate the insane traffic on Girard Ave.
 #1309216  by the sarge

How many transit riders on every bus and trolley in the city actually live on the street of the route they ride to and from their home? Heck, I'll go TWO blocks. I would be surprised if that number hit 30%*. For those who do live along a route, how about letting the bus or trolley stop in front of each riders house. This should be the plan if the object is to pick up people - at least when the operators are awake.

Yes, there is not one residential address between Susquehanna & Girard and Richmond & Ann. That is about 1.2 miles or roughly 17% of the route in "no house" land. But, don't forget about that long distance between 32nd & Girard and the Zoo, another no house situation; although it would be very tough to find an all residential routing through the park and across the river. Also, why does the trolley stop at the Zoo? It's been awhile, but last I checked, nobody lives there, just some lions, tigers, and bears. While were at it, what about the subway-surface lines? Lets send them back topside and let them snake through the residential streets to about 22nd st and send them back below. What's time when you need to pick up?

I assumed that I explained why such a realignment could not happen during construction. Obviously, you didn't care, blew it off, or it just flew over your head, so I won't rehash. But let's just say that it could be done. It is a lot cheaper to build a trolley line with a new road. Putting a new trolley line in an existing road is more expensive in comparison. Basing figures on how much it costs to build the line on the new Richmond st vs the cost of the new section on Frankford Ave, a realignment along Aramingo - Thompson/Belgrade would cost about $25 million - about $15 million more then staying on Richmond. Now, considering that since the shuttles have been servicing the heavily residential Thompson and Belgrade St, ridership actually -wait for it - Stayed the same, you are going to spend $15 million dollars to save three blocks of walking for 30 people. Wow, this is SEPTA logic, are you sure you're not a closet manager? Now, what about those 20 other riders who live east of edgemont? They only had to walk a few blocks to catch a westbound trolley, now they have to walk an additional three. Again, the idea of realignment may have a glimmer of hope if it was the only line the area - not one of six.

Even though I have no clue why you brought it up as it had nothing to do about the 15 returning and the alignment, I will say that I 100% agree with you that the schedule for the 15 is good for toilet paper only. It was that way in the 80's, until bustitution, during bustitution, and today. Lastly, I'm still trying to figure out how sleeping operators backs up your position on the realignment idea. Also, how many times did you observe such behavior? Or, did you "hear" about it? If you did observe it first hand, what did you do about it? Did you at least knock on the windshield and say "Wake up sunshine, time for work"? Or, if you only heard about the "Big Siesta at Madison", was it from the same source who delivered the news to you on the "Wheelchair Trolleys"?

*I mistakenly typed 20% on the original message - edited to correct for 30%
 #1319996  by the sarge

I just heard that the official return date for the Rt 15 on the east end will be Sept of 2018. Richmond St will be undergoing a major rebuild to include widening,utility,beautification improvements, and overhead & tracks (Adding a few feet of road by taking away from the sidewalk). The project will extend up into Bridesburg but the section affecting the Rt 15 (Ann to Westmorland) will be in construction 2017-2018. In the interim, Richmond is in sad shape and needs work until the rebuild project, so this summer, the road will be overlaid with asphalt - even over the rails north of Ann St.
 #1320023  by ekt8750

the sarge wrote:I just heard that the official return date for the Rt 15 on the east end will be Sept of 2018. Richmond St will be undergoing a major rebuild to include widening,utility,beautification improvements, and overhead & tracks (Adding a few feet of road by taking away from the sidewalk). The project will extend up into Bridesburg but the section affecting the Rt 15 (Ann to Westmorland) will be in construction 2017-2018. In the interim, Richmond is in sad shape and needs work until the rebuild project, so this summer, the road will be overlaid with asphalt - even over the rails north of Ann St.
That's good to hear cause it needs to be widened. You couldn't have two trolley and car traffic on that stretch of road and double parking was prevalent up that way.
 #1320282  by bikentransit

2018 is being optimistic given the pace PennDOT is working. Many residents in the area like the detour routing because it's closer to where they live, so the longer the detour continues, the better, not to mention the shuttle buses are much more reliable than the trolley.
 #1320286  by trackwelder

bikentransit wrote:2018 is being optimistic given the pace PennDOT is working. Many residents in the area like the detour routing because it's closer to where they live, so the longer the detour continues, the better, not to mention the shuttle buses are much more reliable than the trolley.

are you kidding me? the shuttle bus schedule has absolutely NO RELATIONSHIP with reality. i live three blocks from york and aramingo, and i gave up on the shuttle bus over a year ago. it'd be nice not to have to walk all the way to the el when it's ten degrees, but i can walk to berks twice in the amount of time i would wait from the for the shuttle from the scheduled time.
 #1320289  by the sarge

trackwelder wrote:
bikentransit wrote:2018 is being optimistic given the pace PennDOT is working. Many residents in the area like the detour routing because it's closer to where they live, so the longer the detour continues, the better, not to mention the shuttle buses are much more reliable than the trolley.

are you kidding me? the shuttle bus schedule has absolutely NO RELATIONSHIP with reality. i live three blocks from york and aramingo, and i gave up on the shuttle bus over a year ago. it'd be nice not to have to walk all the way to the el when it's ten degrees, but i can walk to berks twice in the amount of time i would wait from the for the shuttle from the scheduled time.
I'm also confused how the shuttle bus is "much more reliable" when:
bikentransit wrote:The shuttle buses don't run ontime, and the ones that run late at night don't show up half the time because the driver is taking a nap at Madison loop.
and
bikentransit wrote:how many times have you waited in 20 degree winds waiting 30 or 40 minutes for a bus that was supposed to be there, or even better, walking from Front & Girard to Richmond & Allegheny because the the 2am bus never showed up and the clock now shows 2:55?????
and
bikentransit wrote:The chief problem isn't OTP, it's unrealistic schedules and operators sleeping on the job (on the shuttle bus end).
Since it is now being reported that the buses are much more reliable; am I to assume SEPTA invested in an alarm clock for the Madison Loop?