Railroad Forums 

• RRD Headlights and Ditch Lights

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1305183  by glennk419

Somewhat related to the original question....the vestibule lights and end markers on the SLIV's were / are being converted from incandescent to LED as the cars are rebuilt. I believe I also read that the Bombers were being retrofitted with LED's as they are rebuilt. There are "plug and play" LED replacements available for grade crossing and wayside signals so I can't imagine locomotive lighting would be any different. Obviously, initial cost of installation is always a factor but when you look at total life cycle cost, which factors in the life of the lamp, the labor to replace them when they fail etc, that differential shrinks dramatically.
 #1305223  by 25Hz

I have always been a fan of multi-element arrays where safety is concerned. I believe the ACS 64's headlamps are multi-element, but i have no reliable info let alone any specific details on their specs. Their lighting layout is kinda interesting, with the marker and ditch lights behind a door with a clear panel in it, probably easier to keep clean plus way more aerodynamic than how the silverliners or AEM-7's have it set up. I am not sure if the main headlamps are accessed from inside the cab, or if the number board panel comes off somehow...... again, no details of any kind on that.

If there is a plug and play solution, they still have to find money to order them plus spares etc. :wink: