Railroad Forums 

• Strike II

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1300702  by trackwelder

ExCon90 wrote:And a transit strike will help fix that?
you can't look at it as a transit strike specifically, the rank and file don't. i brought that example up just to show the reactive versus proactive nature of management.
jackintosh11 wrote:By striking they could lose more money than they get from the resulting raise. It seems really pointless.
unless it's really short you're probably right, at least as far as this and maybe one more year's wages are concerned, but this is more than anything about a long term issue. i'm a long way from retirement, and i want something waiting for me when i get there. the retirement package and job security are quite honestly the only thing that keeps a lot of people at septa, myself included. we have the perks and benefits we do because, all in all, it's a pretty crappy place to work. the conditions suck nine times out of ten, and at times it can be downright dangerous. i've been in the middle of a gun fight four times (as have most of the track welders on night shift, as well as many operators), my partner had bleach thrown in his face by a passerby, and operators and track maintenance people are regularly harangued by the public for things beyond their control.

speaking from a maintenance standpoint, it is extremely frustrating to never have the proper tools or materials to do a job properly. nearly every break i repair exhibits signs of being repaired several times already. if 234 loses it's cushy retirement package, you will see an exodus of skilled and experienced personnel.
 #1300742  by loufah

Out of curiosity, does your contract allow SEPTA to reduce union workers' retirement benefits at some point in the future?

I'm retired (from a non-union job), and our employer recently decided to end retirees' medical benefits at age 65, which isn't exactly unusual, but many coworkers who were offered and accepted early retirement did not think the benefits they agreed to could be yanked away at any time.

My point is that we couldn't negotiate benefits, but TWU can, and in a job that can cause long-term health problems, I'm wondering if they negotiate some sort of guarantee.
 #1300792  by trackwelder

loufah wrote:Out of curiosity, does your contract allow SEPTA to reduce union workers' retirement benefits at some point in the future?

I'm retired (from a non-union job), and our employer recently decided to end retirees' medical benefits at age 65, which isn't exactly unusual, but many coworkers who were offered and accepted early retirement did not think the benefits they agreed to could be yanked away at any time.

My point is that we couldn't negotiate benefits, but TWU can, and in a job that can cause long-term health problems, I'm wondering if they negotiate some sort of guarantee.
health benefits last one year from date of retirement before they expire. far as i know that's been the case for some time.
 #1300940  by 25Hz

bikentransit wrote:Beware Saturday.
Beware any day, you ever ridden SEPTA? :-D

On a more serious note, i wish the best of luck to the RRD crews.
 #1300971  by trackwelder

25Hz wrote:
bikentransit wrote:Beware Saturday.
Beware any day, you ever ridden SEPTA? :-D

On a more serious note, i wish the best of luck to the RRD crews.

what about city division? what are we, chopped liver? :wink:
 #1301024  by Clearfield

trackwelder wrote:what about city division? what are we, chopped liver? :wink:
That's kinda up to Willie, isn't it? :wink:
 #1301034  by lefty

SEPTA will never agree to Binding Arbitration. Not even one time.

Our friend from Track is right. The benefits and retirement are why people stay there, the pay for any skilled rate is low. Most guys take a $3.00-$8.00 (or more) per hour cut in pay to go there. They are looking at those benefits.

Their 10/14 proposal asks for all new hire to have no pension and the authority will only put just over $700 (if the employee puts in $7,000) in their retirement plan as a matching donation each year. Good luck getting any skilled labor to apply for a job there if they do that. The system won't run very long without mechanics and infrastructure people. Why would you work for SEPTA when you could make a lot more money somewhere else, and probably get a considerably larger 401k match from your employer?

This strike isn't about getting a raise.
 #1301066  by SubwayTim

Flyer78 wrote:http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... night.html

Apparently, a two-year tentative deal has been reached.
Why is it only two-year??? I've always thought their contracts were four or five years. Does that mean in just two short years we will be worrying about the potential of a SEPTA strike again???
 #1301072  by NorthPennLimited

Yes, but now you have a 2 year lag between the railroad contract expiration and city side expiration.

No more threat of strikageddon for a LONG time
 #1301096  by SubwayTim

NorthPennLimited wrote:Yes, but now you have a 2 year lag between the railroad contract expiration and city side expiration.

No more threat of strikageddon for a LONG time
I've always believed that if a "strikageddon" was to ever happen, it would be very short-lived, as politicians would intervene and force the workers back to work. I don't think the Philadelphia area would survive a lengthy shutdown of the entire SEPTA system.
 #1301223  by Clearfield

"Fortunately", both sides kicked the cans of pension reform and health care issues down the road for two years.

There may be more clarity nationally on the effects of ObamaCare to large corporations by then.

And by then, SEPTA will have already gone through its next round of fare hikes.