Railroad Forums 

• Strike II

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1298565  by South Jersey Budd

ChrisinAbington wrote:
trackwelder wrote:why is it when a unionized labor just tries to keep what it has and maybe seek parity with others they're called spoiled? why don't the people who complain organise their co-workers and demand it from their bosses?
If you really believe additional compensation for Philadelphia unionized public workers will make society a better place, I will respectfully agree to disgree as well. Hint, that additional money isn't coming from Brian Roberts or Cole Hamels...
Exactly thanks for making my point, I'm sure they need that much money each year just to live paycheck to paycheck. They couldn't do without it or afford to pay a fair percentage in taxes to solve the states problems. And while we're at it let's build Cole another stadium and give some tax breaks to Mr. Roberts for another tower.
Clearfield wrote:
South Jersey Budd wrote:Why is it the workers fault about healthcare costs ? It's always the cost of healthcare weather it be teachers, nurses, firefighters, police or transit workers. IBC and others like them I'm sure are not doing well at all and neither is U of Penn if you take a look at all the new buildings in University City and how about the pharmaceutical companies. How about the record highs on Wall Street? Does the private sector pay its full share as schools are underfunded, the States and Cities are struggling but it's public sector workers fault.

It's funny the $95,000 SEPTA engineers who make 30.10 an hour are overpaid or overworked ? 30.10 x 40 x 52 = $62,600

The average TWU 234 member averages $64,000 with OT.

Do public sector workers not deserve to make a living wage?

Cole Hamels made 19.5 million in 2013.

Back in 2009 the IBC CEO Joe Frick made 2.7 million.

The Aetna CEO made 31 million in 2013.

Comcast B. Roberts made 31.4 million in 2013 10th in the USA.

U of Penn CEO in 2012 G. Scheib made 1.53 million.

Is the public paying these salaries too hidden as tax breaks or loopholes ? I'm sure they and the companies pay their fare share or should it be borne on the hourly workers backs?
Well said. You and I may need to respectfully agree to disagree.
One thing I think we can agree on is that there are no winners in a strike.
 #1298573  by Clearfield

South Jersey Budd wrote:
ChrisinAbington wrote:
trackwelder wrote:why is it when a unionized labor just tries to keep what it has and maybe seek parity with others they're called spoiled? why don't the people who complain organise their co-workers and demand it from their bosses?
If you really believe additional compensation for Philadelphia unionized public workers will make society a better place, I will respectfully agree to disgree as well. Hint, that additional money isn't coming from Brian Roberts or Cole Hamels...
Exactly thanks for making my point, I'm sure they need that much money each year just to live paycheck to paycheck. They couldn't do without it or afford to pay a fair percentage in taxes to solve the states problems. And while we're at it let's build Cole another stadium and give some tax breaks to Mr. Roberts for another tower.
Clearfield wrote:
South Jersey Budd wrote:Why is it the workers fault about healthcare costs ? It's always the cost of healthcare weather it be teachers, nurses, firefighters, police or transit workers. IBC and others like them I'm sure are not doing well at all and neither is U of Penn if you take a look at all the new buildings in University City and how about the pharmaceutical companies. How about the record highs on Wall Street? Does the private sector pay its full share as schools are underfunded, the States and Cities are struggling but it's public sector workers fault.

It's funny the $95,000 SEPTA engineers who make 30.10 an hour are overpaid or overworked ? 30.10 x 40 x 52 = $62,600

Is the public paying these salaries too hidden as tax breaks or loopholes ? I'm sure they and the companies pay their fare share or should it be borne on the hourly workers backs?
NOTE: Other than "Well said. You and I may need to respectfully agree to disagree" none of those quotes are mine.
 #1298610  by South Jersey Budd

Clearfield wrote:
South Jersey Budd wrote:
ChrisinAbington wrote:
Clearfield wrote:

NOTE: Other than "Well said. You and I may need to respectfully agree to disagree" none of those quotes are mine.
I don't believe I pinned any quotes on you, I just thought we and the others on this board could agree that a strike doesn't have any winners, SEPTA, TWU, the riders etc. WHAT I SAID WAS " One thing I think we can agree on is that there are no winners in a strike."

People depend on public transportation and the legislators, SEPTA Managers and Labor Leaders need to work together and at the same time the Government needs to properly fund mass transit, keep health care costs down and have corporations pay their fair share.
 #1298622  by Clearfield

South Jersey Budd wrote:I don't believe I pinned any quotes on you, I just thought we and the others on this board could agree that a strike doesn't have any winners, SEPTA, TWU, the riders etc. WHAT I SAID WAS " One thing I think we can agree on is that there are no winners in a strike."

People depend on public transportation and the legislators, SEPTA Managers and Labor Leaders need to work together and at the same time the Government needs to properly fund mass transit, keep health care costs down and have corporations pay their fair share.
Mostly agreed with a caveat.

* What is the relationship between corporations paying their fair share and the funding of public transit? The funding of public transit is at the whim of the legislature. Tax breaks to corporations are granted by the legislature.

* What power does the government have to keep healthcare costs down? Healthcare costs are set by the insurance companies, not the doctors and not the hospitals.

The Delaware Valley economy does depend on public transportation. The Legislature, SEPTA leadership and labor leaders do need to work together. SEPTA is the engine that keeps the local economy moving, and the local economy provides the state with most of its tax revenues. Therefore, a healthy SEPTA is a win-win for everyone.
 #1298805  by loufah

South Jersey Budd wrote:Do public sector workers not deserve to make a living wage?

Everyone should have a decent standard of living, funded by a combination of their employers and the government.

But since you're comparing SEPTA salaries with those of a Phillies star and IBX executive, note that if customers think the Phillies or IBX are not providing enough benefit for the price of their service, they have the option of discontinuing use of that service and not paying any more. If enough of them do that, Hamels and Frick will take pay cuts, contracts permitting, or even be out of a job. A Pennsylvania taxpayer doesn't have option of not paying for SEPTA, and in fact has been compelled to pay *more* this year in taxes to support SEPTA workers. It's hardly a surprise that they will be reluctant to fund raises, especially the average resident in western or central PA who will most likely never ever set foot inside SEPTA's service area.
 #1298810  by Clearfield

SEPTA engineers make $30.10 an hour earn (before OT), or $62,600

The average TWU 234 member averages $64,000 with OT. I don't have the straight time total.

The average annual salary for people working in the City of Philadelphia is $58,000 http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Average- ... a,-PA.html

My point?

234 got a sweet deal 5 years ago during our near-depression.

I just don't see much public sympathy for members of a union that prides itself on striking.

If my numbers are incorrect, I apologize in advance and hope to be corrected.
 #1298857  by trackwelder

Clearfield wrote:SEPTA engineers make $30.10 an hour earn (before OT), or $62,600

The average TWU 234 member averages $64,000 with OT. I don't have the straight time total.

The average annual salary for people working in the City of Philadelphia is $58,000 http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Average- ... a,-PA.html

My point?

234 got a sweet deal 5 years ago during our near-depression.

I just don't see much public sympathy for members of a union that prides itself on striking.

If my numbers are incorrect, I apologize in advance and hope to be corrected.

64,000 with OT, that says it all. many septa employees work seventy and eighty hour work weeks. on the other end of that, a General Helper starting out in the track gang makes $14 and change an hour.
 #1299127  by zebrasepta

TWU 234 could strike soon...
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 99362.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thousands of SEPTA riders could be left out in the cold if the largest SEPTA workers union authorizes a strike this weekend.

In a letter announcing a strike authorization vote for Sunday, Transit Workers Union of America [TWU] Local 234 says that SEPTA’s current proposals "simply show that SEPTA is daring Local 234 members to strike."

The transit union is upset with SEPTA’s current proposals for pay increases (6 percent staggered over five years), freezing health benefits and asking union members to contribute 10 percent to health premiums. The union claims these proposals make rank-and file workers "second-class citizens" because they have increased benefits to supervisors and management.
 #1299192  by 60 Car

I really love how the media and general public love to portray SEPTA employees and useless and lazy, while constantly pointing out how much they are paid including OVERTIME.
Overtime, to me implies at least a measure of work ethic......

If they do strike, and I believe they will, because that's Willie Brown's M.O., they better make it a good one.
When they strike, I expect we will see history made in Harrisburg.

I predict that, in the event of a SEPTA strike, we will see some actual work done in Harrisburg, at light speed.
The legislation will ge passed to outlaw transit worker strikes so fast it will make your head spin.
 #1299230  by Clearfield

Clearfield wrote:234's upcoming strike will give the PA legislature the perfect opportunity to add transit (not railroad) workers to the list of 'public' employees not permitted to strike.

So as Rocky Balboa said, "Go For It"
As I said in my 10/16 quote in this thread...............
 #1299231  by JeffersonLeeEng

I believe the state legislature is currently on recess for general election campaign break. The lame duck session isn't set to reconvene until November 12th. Oh well, I think we may as well have a transit strike as this year's October Surprise...
 #1299236  by Clearfield

JeffersonLeeEng wrote:I believe the state legislature is currently on recess for general election campaign break. The lame duck session isn't set to reconvene until November 12th. Oh well, I think we may as well have a transit strike as this year's October Surprise...
You could be correct. Could be election day.
 #1299307  by JeffersonLeeEng

Clearfield wrote:
JeffersonLeeEng wrote:I believe the state legislature is currently on recess for general election campaign break. The lame duck session isn't set to reconvene until November 12th. Oh well, I think we may as well have a transit strike as this year's October Surprise...
You could be correct. Could be election day.
If SEPTA transit workers are striking during Election Day, you can bet that certain party members are going to be severely p*ssed off. I suspect, at that point, with a major population/voting base not being able to reach the polls, you can probably put your money where your mouth is. Yep...bad form, Willie Brown...bad form, indeed.
 #1299462  by SCB2525

Striking during election day would be such a high caliber shot in the foot for 234 that I doubt they'll strike before then.
 #1299759  by JeffersonLeeEng

No TWU 234 Strike on Monday according to Newsworks.org ( http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/loca ... ike-monday" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) but Brown is expected to hold a news conference on the union's dissatisfaction of SEPTA management's contract offer. The strike authorization vote by the rank and file is still expected to be held on Sunday afternoon, though.