Railroad Forums 

• Sales of SEPTA Station Naming Rights

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1380757  by SCB2525

We actually have such a situation; Link Belt was so named for the crane manufacturer across the street that the station serviced. Link Belt Co. is long gone from here and the plant is now a Dorman plant.

I always thought they should add parking and rename it Buxmont.
 #1381477  by ExCon90

It has been announced that the new A Line in Denver is officially designated the University of Colorado A Line, and the media are being urged to use the full name whenever they mention it. The price was $5 million for 5 years, with option to extend. Does this open up a whole new vista for SEPTA? There are lots of universities in Philadelphia, and some of them are pretty well fixed financially (perhaps Community Colleges could get a discount?)
 #1381555  by TomNelligan

ExCon90 wrote:It has been announced that the new A Line in Denver is officially designated the University of Colorado A Line, and the media are being urged to use the full name whenever they mention it.
Hopefully they won't!
 #1381556  by rslitman

SCB2525 wrote:We actually have such a situation; Link Belt was so named for the crane manufacturer across the street that the station serviced. Link Belt Co. is long gone from here and the plant is now a Dorman plant.

I always thought they should add parking and rename it Buxmont.
Spell it Bucks-Mont, please! I can't stand seeing Bucks spelled as Bux. I understand why it needs to be spelled this way for radio station WBUX, but any other usage looks awful!
 #1381625  by JeffK

Head-end View wrote:Everyone's familiar with the Link-Belt name. Why change it and cause confusion and controversy?
The same statement is true if you replace "Link-Belt" with "Pattison Avenue", "Market East", "King Manor", or any other familiar name SEPTA arbitrarily obliterated over the last decade.

I still contend that if SEPTA wants to be serious about selling naming rights they should be a lot more creative about finding sponsors:
- Morton Salt
- Do-nothing Congress Avenue
- Yardley Aftershave
- Mainstream Media
- Irish Spring Mill
- Radnor Hunt
- Huey, Dewey, and Louie Ave.
- Avon Cosmetics Rd.
 #1469616  by ExCon90

A bit of perspective: The latest issue of Inside Track, the quarterly publication of the Market Street Railway organization in San Francisco, reports that the new station, now nearing completion, to accommodate Transbay bus routes as well as -- someday -- Caltrain and Calif. High Speed service, will be named Salesforce Transit Terminal after a local software company which paid $110 million for the naming rights for 25 years. (The company occupies a new skyscraper adjoining the terminal, so at least there's some sense of place.)
 #1470168  by JeffK

BuddCar711 wrote:If only there was a major business called "Willoughby".
I heard that you can only buy a one-way ticket to that station.
 #1480903  by R3 Passenger

Here we go again: AT&T Station will now be known as NRG Station.
Andrew Maykuth and Jason Laughlin of PHILLY.COM wrote:AT&T is out. NRG is in.

SEPTA has approved changing the name of AT&T Station, the southern terminus of the Broad Street subway, to NRG Station. The subway stop, which serves the stadium complex, previously was known as the Pattison Avenue station.

NRG Energy Inc., whose retail energy supply subsidiary is based in Philadelphia, agreed to pay the transit agency $5.25 million under a five-year deal. SEPTA gets 85 percent of that, which will go to its operating budget. The rest goes to Intersection, the company that represented SEPTA in negotiations over the naming rights.

The contract includes two options for extension, each for an additional two years.
Next station goes to the highest bidder!
 #1480953  by NorthPennLimited

Wow.

So that company Intersection received $787,000 to table negotiations and write up a 5 year contract to change the name of a subway station. Not bad for a day’s work.

Doesn’t SEPTA have any competent in-house lawyers and marketing managers?