Railroad Forums 

• Renaming 30th street

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1286589  by NorthPennLimited

Congressman Chakka Fattah has spearheaded a campaign to rename 30th Street to William H. Gray station.

http://6abc.com/news/30th-street-statio ... an/249744/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So now we have Joe Biden Station, and William Gray station. I guess next they will rename Washington Union Station after the Speaker of the House. They can call it Boehnerland. NY Penn can be renamed after Anthony Wiener..... I could go on but you get my drift.

What's wrong with keeping a station's name after over a century of tradition?
 #1286592  by scotty269

How do I get from AT&T Station to William H. Gray Station?

I heard you need to transfer at Verizon Suburban Station.
 #1286600  by JeffK

Some other ideas:

Morton Salt Station
The Mainstream Media Line
Ortega Taco-ny Station
Do-nothing Congress Avenue Station
Yardley Cologne Station
Huntington Learning Center Station
Snyder Pretzels Avenue Station
 #1286666  by bikentransit

Tremendous waste of money. Politicians love glorifying each other by naming things after each other as if they are somehow battle scarred heroes. The country is melting away, our transit system is pathetic, schools underfunded, but let's give a big round of applause to another politician.
 #1286741  by glennk419

IIRC, didn't they try to rename 30th Street Station about 5-6 years ago in honor of Benjamin Franklin and it was shot down because it would be too confusing to travelers? Why all of a sudden is this different? 90% of the people in the Philly area don't even know who Bill Gray was and out of owners certainly don't either. The money they'll spend doing this could much better applied elsewhere.

It will always be 30th Street Station to me, PERIOD!
 #1286742  by glennk419

NorthPennLimited wrote:Congressman Chakka Fattah has spearheaded a campaign to rename 30th Street to William H. Gray station.

http://6abc.com/news/30th-street-statio ... an/249744/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So now we have Joe Biden Station, and William Gray station. I guess next they will rename Washington Union Station after the Speaker of the House. They can call it Boehnerland. NY Penn can be renamed after Anthony Wiener..... I could go on but you get my drift.

What's wrong with keeping a station's name after over a century of tradition?
I'm going to guess that Trenton is probably safe for the moment. :-D :-D :-D
 #1286745  by Clearfield

At least with all the problems we have in the region and the country, Fattah has finally managed to actually introduce a piece of legislation.

I believe his first.

Why this? He could have named it for the famous Philadelphian, Milton Street.

Milton Street 30th Street Station?
 #1286749  by chuchubob

Clearfield wrote:At least with all the problems we have in the region and the country, Fattah has finally managed to actually introduce a piece of legislation.

I believe his first.
Far from his first. You could have looked it up.
 #1286784  by Clearfield

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Here's the copy of the final enrolled bill as prepared for the President.

This topic should be moved to the Amtrak forum, as it involves an act of Congress and an Amtrak owned facility.
Right. Alex??
 #1286797  by AlexC

I thought about it when it first was posted, but considering it is a SEPTA station as well, and involves Philly insider-ish stuff, I think it should stay here.

The discussion is going to die on it's own anyway in a few days.
 #1286801  by Clearfield

Does anyone know if SEPTA will be forced to rename the station on all schedules, webpages, announcements, maps, etc?

SEPTA was paid to do that by AT&T when they renamed Pattison.

I don't see any money changing hands on this deal.
 #1286812  by TomNelligan

NorthPennLimited wrote: What's wrong with keeping a station's name after over a century of tradition?
But that doesn't give the Washington politicians a chance to act like they're actually doing something, rather than just pandering to the big-bucks special interests and trashing each other when the cameras are on.

This renaming idea is idiotic. But in a country that sadly has little knowledge of or respect for history, it doesn't surprise me.
 #1286822  by Tadman

i wonder how much a congressman costs. I think it'd be cool to rename the station nearest to Jeff Smith's house the "Jeff Smith Rules Railroad.net station".
 #1286830  by morris&essex4ever

Maybe a station could be named Cruiser "Awesome Justice Train Freedom America" 939?