Railroad Forums 

• potential amtrak aem7 lease

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1272156  by BuddSilverliner269

Just saw a report about the proposed retirement dates of amtrak aem7 and HHP8 and there is a note of 5 AEM7ac units. Unit #s 934,936,939,942 & 944 will be placed on hold instead of being retirement pending a lease to septa
 #1272195  by amtrakhogger

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Just saw a report about the proposed retirement dates of amtrak aem7 and HHP8 and there is a note of 5 AEM7ac units. Unit #s 934,936,939,942 & 944 will be placed on hold instead of being retirement pending a lease to septa
Cool, that means I won't get stuck behind that p/p set leaving Wilmington that can't get out of its own way.
 #1272202  by dowlingm

Any indication of the length of the proposed lease? Not riches I'm sure in terms of consideration but any found money is surely welcome for Amtrak all the same
 #1272280  by South Jersey Budd

This would be a smart move for SEPTA until they can get new equipment. AEM7 reliability issues are a daily occurrence as I know twice this week the morning set to Wilmington / Newark didn't make it.

Technical question: I think they should be but are AMTRAK locomotives compatible HEP wise with SEPTA coaches?
 #1272286  by khecht

South Jersey Budd wrote:This would be a smart move for SEPTA until they can get new equipment. AEM7 reliability issues are a daily occurrence as I know twice this week the morning set to Wilmington / Newark didn't make it.
Guess that's why we had just 4 SL V's on the first Newark inbound morning express Friday.

Five Amtrak AEM-7s wouldn't constitute a full replacement of the SEPTA fleet, which is interesting. Stopgap perhaps, but it would still leave two "riskier" AEM-7s potentially operating each day. With them apparently kicking off the Silverline VI project in the coming year, perhaps this is a bridge until some of those units could replace the push-pull fleet?
 #1272291  by ThirdRail7

Not that Budd should need it but If it makes everyone warm and fuzzy, I fully verify his source.I have seen about 4 different reports and timetables for the retirements. I never brought it up because it changes so often and this is still a bit off since the ACSs are still a work in progress. For example, the last one I saw mentioned the 938 not the the 939 being held aside for leasing (although it didn't mention Septa specifically) and the 932 was supposed to go before the 656. The 650 and the 908 had major issues recently and they may decide to leapfrog other units and not fix them.

I'm surprised to read about 939 taking the place of 938. Mechanical must have identified some sort of issue.We will see how this works out.
 #1272366  by SCB2525

I suppose they figure the ALP44 is still ok and they can keep at least one existing AEM7 in working order.
 #1272397  by 25Hz

I think this is probably a patch till further locomotives or MU orders could be looked at if it does indeed take place.
 #1272400  by BuddSilverliner269

twropr wrote:Are the Amtrak AEM's any more reliable than SEPTA's?

Andy
Yes the remans or ac units are very reliable compared to the DC motors. Acceleration is way improved as well
 #1272401  by Clearfield

twropr wrote:Are the Amtrak AEM's any more reliable than SEPTA's?
SEPTA's AEM's have NEVER been overhauled.
 #1272434  by 25Hz

I really hope this isnt instead of new locomotives.

All we can do is wait and see (and hope).
 #1272435  by Fan Railer

25Hz wrote:I really hope this isnt instead of new locomotives.

All we can do is wait and see (and hope).
Sounds more like a stopgap plan until SEPTA can afford new locomotives. As much as the remans are better than the DCs, they probably won't last too long past 2020.