Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA Regional Rail on Strike - 6/14 - PEB to Mediate

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1276539  by Sirsonic

No PEB has been requested yet in the ongoing dispute on SEPTA. The governor of any state the carrier operates in could request the president appoint one, however, that has not happened yet.
 #1276542  by SubwayTim

My "burning question" is...
Will this strike likely be very brief...like lasting just a few days to a week at the most, or will it likely drag on for weeks...or possibly months, reflecting the 1983 Regional Rail strike???
 #1276552  by kiha40

ChemiosMurphy wrote:2 questions...

1. Will I be able to get a refund for my monthly trailpass?

2. When 12:01AM hit on Saturday, what happened to trains that had passengers on them that were en route to their destination?
1. I had a transpass during the bus strike in '09, I think I got a $5 refund on the next month's pass.

2. interesting question
 #1276556  by silverlinerfan22

SubwayTim wrote:My "burning question" is...
Will this strike likely be very brief...like lasting just a few days to a week at the most, or will it likely drag on for weeks...or possibly months, reflecting the 1983 Regional Rail strike???
It may not be brief. One of the items the union is holding out on is retroactive pay. Septa has never paid retroactive, and will never set that precedent.

And as far as work rules while Septa is mentioning nothing on this, neither is the union. It sounds like past monies and benefits are the sticking points. Both of these Septa will not budge on. If this does continue, expect the Conductors and others to be laid off by the end of the week.
Last edited by silverlinerfan22 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1276564  by nomis

van2005ko wrote:
Clearfield wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:
motor wrote:Why is *bus* route 78 shut down? Do BLET members staff that route? I know it's an express down 95 but...

motor
The 78 is shut down because it is basically just a Regional Rail train that runs its trips when the Trenton Line doesn't. A Regional Rail fare is paid on that bus if using cash, and only Trailpasses of the zone for Cornwells Heights and higher are good on the pass side.
Why would that route not be a good alternate if the RRD is down?
I thought the route 78 would had been the perfect alternative to the R7 since the fare for riding on the 78 are actually closer to "true" costs to the cost of running that line versus any other route throughout the entire city. Also the operators on the 78 are from a completely different union. Oh well - SEPTA's logic and those whom are responsible.
What would a bus route that leaves whenthe sun comes up & returns when 2nd shift is over do for transportation? Surely those people that take the Inbound train don't wait for the outbound train to go home to CWH. :-D :-)
 #1276575  by rslitman

SubwayTim wrote:Is it likely that SEPTA will bustitute some, if not all the Regional Rail lines during the strike, as they usually would if a line was shut down for construction, etc.?
I would be shocked if this was done for reverse commuters on the West Trenton line.

It will probably be mainly done on the Pampered Paoli line, despite the parallel 105 bus on most of the route.
 #1276576  by rslitman

kiha40 wrote:
ChemiosMurphy wrote:2 questions...

1. Will I be able to get a refund for my monthly trailpass?
1. I had a transpass during the bus strike in '09, I think I got a $5 refund on the next month's pass.
I got something off my Cross County Pass after Regional Rail was shut down during Superstorm Sandy.
 #1276582  by Noel Weaver

Normally when a strike occurs on a passenger railroad all trains enroute to their destinations continue even after the start of the strike making their normal station stops and doing their normal work. At the destination the crew will yard their train in a normal manner and then leave the property and head for their homes. The hour the strike begins the pickets take their assigned places on a picket line and nobody in their right mind except for management personnel will cross that picket line. In other words it is an orderly shutdown.

On another note of all of the commuter and passenger railroads in the northeast the employees of SEPTA have been historically the lowest paid of all. This is why they had such a long strike in 1983 and this is why they have had various subway, trolley and bus shutdowns since that time. I remember back in late 1982 when these authorities were just getting set up to take over from Conrail that SEPTA was the last one that anybody would want to work for, their pay and their contracts were the lowest of any at that time and I suspect it is still true today.

Sooner or later and I hope it is much sooner SEPTA will have to pony up to prevailing conditions for engineers and others working for them. As a result in 1983 many of their employees were at the bottom of the Conrail rosters, the ones with no other choices than SEPTA.

I know some on here are quick to blame the BLET but I have been a member of that fine organization for a long, long time and believe me when I say it, I know the BLET does not take this situation lightly, they did not want to strike, shut the railroad completely down, leave commuters without an easy way into the city, keep their members and other employees from earning a living but sometimes you need to do it. Four years without a contract is bad enough but then not a good faith offer to settle from the company is even worse.

Incidentally the leadership of the union today does not make the final decision on the strike, the engineers represented by the BLET had to vote on that one and their vote was overwhelmingly in favor of strike action in the event it became necessary. There are a lot of strict procedures required by both the Federal government and by the union itself before a strike can occur and it takes a long time for these procedures to be completely followed. NOBODY wants a strike but enough is enough and the engineers in this case have HAD ENOUGH.

Added paragraph breaks -Ed
 #1276586  by kiha40

Sirsonic wrote:No PEB has been requested yet in the ongoing dispute on SEPTA. The governor of any state the carrier operates in could request the president appoint one, however, that has not happened yet.
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... trike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

according to information in that article, a PEB has been requested. Wasn't it mentioned earlier in the thread that Septa would rather have a strike now than in the cold weather months? The article goes on to say that a strike is likely in February, when the time limit of the PEB would be reached. Can Septa decline the assistance of PEB, or write a request that one not be formed?
 #1276587  by scotty269

rslitman wrote:
SubwayTim wrote:Is it likely that SEPTA will bustitute some, if not all the Regional Rail lines during the strike, as they usually would if a line was shut down for construction, etc.?
I would be shocked if this was done for reverse commuters on the West Trenton line.

It will probably be mainly done on the Pampered Paoli line, despite the parallel 105 bus on most of the route.
Actually, the Paoli line isn't FUBAR'd, didn't you hear? They're getting UBER'd to their stop, without any PROBLEMO.
 #1276596  by Clearfield

A 3:37pm update on Philly.com says SEPTA strike could be short-lived.

Governor Corbett did ask President for a PEB. The union said they could be back to work in 6-8 hours if that happens. Read the article.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... trike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1276605  by Clearfield

jackintosh11 wrote:That's great. Hopefully the unions won't strike when the PEB period ends.
The PEB stalls the strike process by 240 days.

Why would they not strike after the PEB period ends?
 #1276617  by AlexC

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 69051.html
Obama granted Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett's request to create a presidential emergency board to mediate the contract dispute between the Southeast Pennsylvania Transportation Authority and its engineers and electricians unions.

Obama ordered the establishment of the three-member board effective at 12:01 a.m. Sunday. He called for "a swift and smooth resolution" of the dispute.

Corbett says the president's action will force workers to return to work immediately and both parties to continue negotiations.