Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA Cancels CRRC multi level order (Was:SEPTA to get multi-level railroad coaches)

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1426763  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Backshophoss wrote:Don't believe that SEPTA will spring for ALP-45-DP's or any diesel power except for Work train gen-sets.
Given how long it's taking them to poke to back to Wawa in fully electric territory, the ALP-45DP's will be in a rail museum on static display next to an FL9 before SEPTA makes its first diesel sojurn. :P

More practical thought: If NJT could get on with finishing the half-complete electrification of the NJCL and M&E (at least as far as the branch re-merge, if not all the way to Port Morris Yard) and clean up the power pu-pu platter on those schedules, they're probably one fresh stab at Raritan Valley wire-up for Gateway away from having a glut of ALP's to sell/lease to SEPTA for its diesel daydreams. That's maybe got a more plausibly direct timetable for happening if NJT gets organizationally unstuck and uses the Gateway rallying cry to re-mount the system modernization they backed away from when the air started seeping out of ARC's fortunes.
 #1426896  by NorthPennLimited

Given SEPTA's affinity for low-horsepower, low bid, overpriced, hanger queens, I've given up any hope of them acquiring any diesel locomotives with the necessary horsepower to pull revenue passenger trains (even for emergency service).

You almost never see 50 or 70 coupled to the wire train at Wayne Junction for work train duty. They seem to just sit outside Wayne Junction Shop on static display.
 #1468763  by JeffK

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/ro ... -test.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After the Hyundai-Rotem debacle I'm withholding judgement. CRRC's a huge manufacturer worldwide but they were the lowest bidder and have only recently entered the North American market :(
 #1468795  by mcgrath618

Will they have wifi and/or bathrooms?
I would expect at this point for them to have SOME form of internet connectivity, but I suspect that as the City Sprinters did not receive bathrooms that these cars will not either.

Either way, when these come in, they'll have enough spare cars to resume Bethlehem and Pottstown service :P
 #1468796  by ChesterValley

McGrath,

According to the project technical specifications proposal found here https://septa.org/business/bid/100k/det ... ations.pdf on page 394, WiFi should be on the cars. They are also coming with bike racks according to page 209. Assuming these bi-level bricks don't have structural problems, I'm interested to see what the final product will look like.
 #1468838  by JeffK

Backshophoss wrote:Don't see any low platform door openings. :(
Found this in the RFP: "Stainless steel step wells, consisting of three (3) steps with Darkar or approved equivalent anti-skid surfaces, shall be located at the end vestibule entrances equipped for high level and low level platform stations."
mcgrath618 wrote:Will they have wifi and/or bathrooms?
No bathrooms. According to SEPTA "Ya gotta know when to hold it and know when to fold it." 🎸
 #1468890  by andrewjw

Backshophoss wrote:At first glance,they look like MBTA Rotem cab cars,with a twist of NJT's ML-II's built in.
Don't see any low platform door openings. :(
I suspect the cab end of the cab cars will not have low platform openings becuase they decrease the structural integrity around the engineer. So perhaps the far end of the car has them.
 #1468898  by Backshophoss

Figure on SEPTA and Atlas doing a SEPTA schene'ed version on a ML II model in HO to go along with the Bachmann HO ACS-64.
with the added value MSRP to cover the SEPTA license Fee. :wink:
 #1468940  by mcgrath618

Backshophoss wrote:Figure on SEPTA and Atlas doing a SEPTA schene'ed version on a ML II model in HO to go along with the Bachmann HO ACS-64.
with the added value MSRP to cover the SEPTA license Fee. :wink:
I would love this.
 #1469027  by MACTRAXX

ChesterValley wrote:McGrath,

According to the project technical specifications proposal found here https://septa.org/business/bid/100k/det ... ations.pdf on page 394, WiFi should be on the cars. They are also coming with bike racks according to page 209. Assuming these bi-level bricks don't have structural problems, I'm interested to see what the final product will look like.
CV and Everyone: The SEPTA car specs is 745 pages(!!!) and depending on how much room your
device has for something that large it may take time to download this document.

Yes - I agree that there is resemblance to a LIRR C3 in this new car - and the LIRR should watch
this car order remembering that they could use more cars knowing the current fleet is stretched
out to its limits - and short term lease equipment from MARC may not be available this year.

This is an interesting read and covers everything anyone may want to know about these proposed
cars. Unfortunately there is no added artist renderings as far as I know there...MACTRAXX
 #1469057  by JeffK

PhillyVoice has a CG rendering of a completed car.

The rendering's from CRRC so presumably it's reasonably close to what the final product will look like.