Railroad Forums 

• How did this one slip by this board

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#513760  by ryanov

wasKFC wrote:Stessel's story is that at 5 mph an unnamed piece of debris struck the train with sufficient force to leave physical evidence of the strike- and cause an uncoupling.
I think the chap lives in my building. You want I should ask him what's his problem? :wink:

#513814  by Grump

ryanov wrote:I think the chap lives in my building. You want I should ask him what's his problem? :wink:
Hmm. You really think you're gonna get an honest answer from a Transit spokesman that downplayed the derailment at Hamilton along the lines of a flat tire you get on a car?

#513966  by ryanov

Sometimes one has to push the emergency stop button in the elevator to get some answers. ;)

#513972  by rushhour

Grump wrote:And of course the instant blame was pointed to the engineer. NJT took a statement and was satisfied that the engineer operated with proper train handling, but Amtrak was trying to hang the engineer....

FYI for those of you in the freight world who are unfamiliair with modern passenger equipment, there is an additonal step to operate the cutting lever. You must first PULL up the cut lever perpendicular to the rail before you can rotate it to pull the pin....
Gotta love those tight-lock couplers...

-JRS

#514347  by NJT Rider

This train was a NEC Train. Is it possible it was an Arrow Set??? Not sure what it would take to uncouple one of these sets, but I have not seen levers on them.

#514369  by Jtgshu

It was a ALP powered train, had a 46 pulling, and IIRC it SEPERATED :wink: inbetween the 2nd and 3rd cars which were both Comet 2s i believe.

#515569  by ryanov

Anyone else know that Dan Stessel also used to work for Amtrak?

#515770  by RVRR 15

Stessel was at Amtrak as recently as 2004. Must be strictly PR.

#515807  by thebigc

ryanov wrote:Anyone else know that Dan Stessel also used to work for Amtrak?
I'm not surprised. Amtrak and NJT freely exchange management flunkies so it seems...