Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#941612  by rjbrody

The barn at 240 St. Yard (#1 Trains) has been condemned and is scheduled to be demolished this year. Temporary quarters for employees who work in the barn, such as car inspectors and cleaners, are being set up in the parking lot under the yard. The barn is stucturally deficient and would be unable to serve as a shop for new trains that will eventually replace the R62s. Word is that the 1 line trains will have to be maintained at 207 St Yard until a new barn is built.
 #941819  by rjbrody

I realize that's true given their 40 year lifespan. Unfortunately the TA is infatuated with New Tech and they would like the whole system as such. The 62/62a's are like an old Chevy Nova or Dodge Dart - just give 'em basic maintenance and they'll run forever.
 #942193  by Allan

...."until a new barn can be built"

That assumes that the MTA can get the additional land needed from Gaelic Park because the physical footprint is just not large enough for all the new equipment needed.

It was mentioned on another board (SubChat - after I made mention of this topic there) that there is some consideration of making 207th St an IRT facility and transferring IND operations down to Pitkin.

Maybe the 240th St facility will just become a storage yard.

I am sure that as this progress we'll all find out what will really happen.
 #942257  by R36 Combine Coach

Allan wrote:It was mentioned on (SubChat) that there is some consideration of making 207th St an IRT facility and transferring IND operations down to Pitkin.
However 207 Street is a overhaul shop, capable of heavy overhaul/rebuilding and scrapping. That would mean all heavy IND fleet work would be moved down to Coney Island.
 #942449  by rjbrody

Even though the Gaelic Park land is Transit property it'll be interesting trying to kick the rugby guys out. 240 has always been in need of a few more tracks for laying up trains but I've only heard speculation about expansion for that area. I haven't gotten any information about the building of more stucture or reconfiguring the yard leads. All in all, it will take several years for the work to be completed and by then, who knows, the 62s may have reached their 40 year lifespan.