Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#821767  by Marcus Lundahl

Hi!

I am visiting NY and would really appreciate if any of you experts could help me out.

I would love to visit the platform where several famous Marilyn Monroe images were taken.

See image below for further information, and I've also provided a link for additional photos.

The journalist who followed her wrote: "Marilyn had never been in a subway. Wrapped in the camel’s hair coat, her famous hair subdued, she walked to the Grand Central stop of the IRT and down to the platform."'

Which platform was it?

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/73996 ... s-Archives

Thanks for your help in advance!

/Marcus
 #821831  by Marcus Lundahl

Hi again!

I'm from Sweden and have never visited that station before in NY so for me it's not obvious even though it says "Uptown local" on the sign.

What was uptown local when it was photographed? Is that the same as Lexington Line now?
Is it the Grand Central 42nd street station? Which entrance? Which platform?

Would appreciate any help!

Kind regards Marcus
 #824437  by Otto Vondrak

Marcus Lundahl wrote:Hi again!

I'm from Sweden and have never visited that station before in NY so for me it's not obvious even though it says "Uptown local" on the sign.

What was uptown local when it was photographed? Is that the same as Lexington Line now?
Is it the Grand Central 42nd street station? Which entrance? Which platform?

Would appreciate any help!

Kind regards Marcus

Hi Marcus-

Same as the "Lexington Line" today, the Lexington local is usually the "6" train.

There's two platfoms at the Grand Central stop. One uptown, one downtown. Because Grand Central is an express top, both locals and express trains share a platform so that you can make easy transfers.

As for the exact post she is leaning on, I wouldn't be able to tell without taking the photo into the station to try to pick it out.

-otto-