Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#559733  by Amtrak7

In many locations, there are express tracks that lay unused. Are these express tracks fit for operation in case of a G.O.?

Locations-
137-103 on the 1
241-180 on the 2
Woodlawn-149 on the 4
Lefferts-Euclid on the A
Howard Beach-Aqueduct on A
 #559778  by gjk1716

Amtrak7,

I am an employee, and familiar with those sections, except that part of the 1 line. Those express tracks are in place in case of a G.O., stalled train, or to keep a work train from obstructing traffic. By NYC Transit rules, they should be held to the same standards as the local tracks.

-G-
 #559920  by hi55us

also on the F from Union-178. I think that it is for track work.
 #559924  by Wallyhorse

180-241 on the 2 is actually used by rush hour 5 trains in the peak direction only I believe, and are in addition to the regular 5 trains to Dyre Avenue.
 #560122  by Kamen Rider

hi55us wrote:also on the F from Union-178. I think that it is for track work.
there are peak hour E express runs to/from 179th.
 #561561  by MNRR_RTC

Kamen Rider wrote:
hi55us wrote:also on the F from Union-178. I think that it is for track work.
there are peak hour E express runs to/from 179th.

I don't think that is right. The last time I checked, the E splits off after the Van Wyck Blvd station and heads to Jamaica center. When I was in high school (it seems a lifetime ago), the F would run on the express tracks the R was on the local.
 #561579  by Wallyhorse

The E does in fact have a limited number of runs from 179th during morning rush and to 179th in evening rush hours because of the limited capacity at Jamaica Center.
 #561647  by Jeff Smith

The 4: I don't think they still do this, but at one time the dowtown platform at Yankee Stadium/161st was extended over the local track, and trains stopped there on the express track. If they stopped that, why? It gets crazy after games.
 #561649  by Jeff Smith

Why do they do that with the 5? That used to drive me nuts when I commuted from Pelham Parkway. Why not just have a diamond 2? The 5 is always express in the Bronx until it diverges onto the old NYW&B, right? Although I believe it runs as a shuttle nights.
 #561659  by RearOfSignal

The (5) makes all stops in the Bronx except during the peak rush in the peak direction where it runs express between E180 st. to 3 Av - 149 st. The <5> does the same but makes all stops between 238st -Nereid Av and E180 st. Late night the (5) acts as a shuttle between Dyre Av and E180 st.
 #561843  by Kamen Rider

Sarge wrote:The 4: I don't think they still do this, but at one time the dowtown platform at Yankee Stadium/161st was extended over the local track, and trains stopped there on the express track. If they stopped that, why? It gets crazy after games.
that's done when the local track is long term OOS (I'm talking 24/7 for weeks to even months on occasion).
 #564581  by Robert Paniagua

137-103 on the 1

Actually that track is sometimes in use during repairs on the main outer tracks, the center track on that stretch along the number one (1) train has been used for revenue moves, and in fact, I've been on that center track from 103-137th when the 1 trains cannot use the other tracks. I ride that line to visit my extended family in Upper Manhattan.
 #564784  by R36 Combine Coach

Most of the Dual Contracts IRT/BMT network (built 1915-18) was designed for at least three tracks.
 #565392  by fordhamkid7721

almost all of the center tracks on the IRT is or can be used,
1 line uses center tracks for moves storage and in certain GOs where one of the other tracks can't be used
2 from 241st to 180th is good but hardly used past Gun Hill for GOs
3 at Junius Street has no third rail and it connects to the Linden Track Assembly Yard
4 from Woodlawn to 149 is good used for GOs and moves and for storing trains before during and after Yankee games sometimes for extra service
2/5 from 149 3rd to 180th is in normal peak service but sometimes there is a GO where the 5 runs local
6 same as 2/5
7 same thing
now the IND on the A the center track is used btwn 80th and Rockaway I think or last time I remember
the part from the old LIRR line to the interlocking before North Channel Bridge can be used btwn the interlocking and before Aqueduct N Conduit there is a switch on the northbound center track there because the track north of it is yet to be replaced
 #570350  by de402

Wallyhorse wrote:The E does in fact have a limited number of runs from 179th during morning rush and to 179th in evening rush hours because of the limited capacity at Jamaica Center.
I'm a regular on the E, and there are a bunch of peak trains that run express to 179th street due to the fact that Parsons Archer is a lousy excuse for a terminus. Quite annoying sometimes to have to get off at Kew and wait for 5 F trains to pass as your E goes out of service and wait for another.

Funny thing is that at Kew Gardens the sign says 'Limeted E Service to 179th St'

I'll have to take a picture of it sometime.. It always makes me think of --limes.