Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#466913  by BMT

There was a G.O. today on the Culver Line for some preliminary 'location scouting' for the planned remake of the classic Taking of Pelham, 1-2-3.

Suppose to start filming early next year, utilizing the old Jay Street Command Center for a nice touch of realism.
 #467129  by BEDT 14

There was already one remake of the Taking of Pelham 1-2-3, in 1998.

It was a "made for TV movie" starring Vicent D'Onoforio as Mr. Blue. (D'Onoforio also stars in Law & Order: Criminal Intent, and starred in Full Metal Jacket as "Pvt. Pyle".)

Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 is one of my favorite movies and I'm a huge fan of Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw, and I gotta tell you, the TV movie sucked. It was filmed in the Toronto Subway, and whether you are a NYC subway buff or anti-MTA, the TV movie lacked the "grimy" character of the NYC subway.

I doubt this new remake will capture the tension, grime and character of the original, but I will at least give it a shot...

The thing that strikes me the most though, and it has been said before: with "Hollywood" remaking all these old classics, it's gotta make you think that Hollywood ran out of good screenplays to make original movies.

Whats next? A remake of "The Train"? Who is gonna replace Burt Lancaster? LOL

Phil

NYC Transit Police Department, Lt. Rico Patrone: "We had a bomb scare in the Bronx yesterday, but it turned out to be a cantaloupe."

#467140  by Otto Vondrak

Looks like they have Denzel Washington lined up for the Walter Matthau part:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797 ... id=13&cs=1

And it looks like Travolta is lined up to play "Ryder":

http://movies.monstersandcritics.com/ne ... 369066.php

As long as they film it on location, and not Toronto, and not an LA sound stage, I'll give it a shot.

http://gothamist.com/2007/09/24/taking_of_pelha.php

-otto-
 #467144  by BEDT 14

Hi Otto!

I agree: if the action scenes are filmed on NYCTA property, it might be worth seeing. I wonder if they will use new equipment, or roll out some of the more vintage rolling stock.

I know the NYCTA gave the original producers in 1974, a hard time over filming on location: The TA compelled United Artists to take out a 2 million dollar policy (75k premium) for anti-hijacking insurance, on top of the regular liability coverage for use of the equipment.

I wonder if the TA will make the new production company require the same (adjusted for todays economy)

Phil

#467828  by Jeff Smith

Well, Denzel Washington and John Travolta may make it palatable, but I agree, it has to be shot in New York. Is it going to be re-written to be shot in current time, or from back in the 70's? It seems if it's modern day, it may lose that element of the "grittiness" you mention of the subways in those days.

Someone shot this as a TV movie? Even more dreadful. They did the same thing with the Poseidon Adventure, and both TV and Movie remakes were God-awful.

#467871  by MACTRAXX

Sarge: I cannot forget the movie MONEY TRAIN-it would not have been the same if it was filmed anywhere but in the NYC Subways.
The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 - the original was a good suspense thriller-in closing...GESUNDHEIT! MACTRAXX

#468196  by StevieC48

I was looking at www.imdb.com and they are putting the release year for 2009. Put in key word taking of pelham 123

#468365  by pennsy

I guess they are hungry for whatever money the flick might make. However, it seems to me that the remakes never equal the original. They are always a compromise and are never that good. And, in short order, they make it to TV. In the extreme case, even TV will pass on them.

#469561  by ajp

wasnt money train done on a made up track in new mexico using NYCTA rolling stock?

#469617  by Wallyhorse

Sarge wrote:Someone shot this as a TV movie? Even more dreadful. They did the same thing with the Poseidon Adventure, and both TV and Movie remakes were God-awful.
Actually, I believe they actually filmed two TV remakes of The Posideon Adventure and did a third one for the big screen a few years ago (simply called Posideon).

I barely saw any of the 1998 remake. I bailed out as soon as I realized it was not filmed in New York.

Any remake to me must be filmed in the NYC Subway System. Sure, it may not have the grittiness of '70s, but if it's filmed in NYC, I think it would do well.

#500381  by Montyb

I agree, a remake of The Taking of Pelham 123 won't be worth anything unless it's filmed entirely in NYC.

I really hate films that are supposed to depict NYC transit, but obviously filmed in Los Angeles or Toronto subways.

#500386  by Crabman1130

A friend of mine works for the power dept and he said it was being filmed in NY.

#532534  by trainjunkies

It is being filmed entirely in NYC. Subway scenes to be filmed at Grand Central (7 platform) and in Brooklyn (various locations). They apparently also have a mock-up of a subway car at a studio.

#537120  by Kamen Rider

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=619701

check these out. props to Trevor Logan for getting these. the man ether knows the right people, or is the luckest guy around becuase he always seem to find the goods.