Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#490411  by Head-end View

My guess is the B-cars will be motorized trailers the same as NYC subways. No way PATH would be dumb enough to buy UNmotorized trailers.

Re: the full-width cab. Okay, there's no left-side railfan window; we can see that from the drawing. But will there be a window in the cab door that we can see through?

#490459  by ascotell

Have not seen shot of the inside sorry :(

#494884  by Terrapin Station

You may see some photos tonight or tomorrow, since the mock-up has been unveiled.

LINK1

LINK2
 #495059  by Head-end View

Channel-7 (ABC) News had a report tonight on the 6PM edition. There was brief footage, but they didn't really show what the front of the train will look like.

#495107  by pgengler

This article has a small AP photo of the car interior.

#495138  by pgengler

A couple more photos here, including one that shows the exterior front.

#496681  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

This mockup, is it a functioning car or just that, a mockup? Usually mockups are non functioning units not containing trucks, etc. This looks like a real car.
 #496737  by Head-end View

Do we know if the 94 twenty year old Kawasaki cars are going to be replaced by the new fleet too? The news releases say the whole 340 car fleet is being replaced, but I'd be surprised if they're replacing cars that are only 20 years old.
 #496805  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: That new PATH car does look good-I like the blue color striping and that the PATH logo was kept-I always liked it-especially the original version with NJ-NY on it. Will the #s be in the 5800 series? HEV-I will second your question-is PATH going to retire the late 80s Kawasaki cars? If so that will be a long way off because of PATHs high car requirements.

The new PATH car and the new MBTA Blue Line cars are so similar in length and size-and now even color. I would like to see them side to side in comparison!
One thing that is ironic though-I believe that the pantograph and roof apparatus on the MBTA Blue Line car will NOT clear the old H&M Tube clearances-but when I see that unused overhead wire over the PATH tracks W of Hack Bridge it gets me to wondering-I know the wire cannot be used since in at least one spot newer wires go UNDER it.
My thoughts...MACTRAXX
 #497607  by Terrapin Station

Head-end View wrote:Do we know if the 94 twenty year old Kawasaki cars are going to be replaced by the new fleet too? The news releases say the whole 340 car fleet is being replaced, but I'd be surprised if they're replacing cars that are only 20 years old.
Yes, all indications are that the whole fleet will be replaced, including the PA-4 cars.

#498187  by geoking66

I really like the new cars. It'll feel like the subway without being on it, and there's a nice feeling to the subway that I can't really describe, maybe that PATH won't seem like such a juvenile system compared to the NYCS. The electronic information display will be much nicer than trying to find a lit-up square with a destination that's only on certain cars.

#498223  by ryanov

I see they're taking a little bit of a page out of WMATA's book by using color LED's for the station designation.