Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#155245  by Idiot Railfan

Lackawanna484 wrote:The 1993 bombers spent lots of time in the parking garage, mapping the columns and parking spaces near them. They undoubtedly walked past dozens of cops as they planned.
Exactly the point I've been trying to make. Instead of wasting time poking around bags (which any "loss prevention agent" at Kmart can do) and harrassing reporters, the police should use their training toward spotting the people who are acting out of the ordinary. It is a waste of time and resources to have highly trained police officers rousting the homeless, sniffing pocketbooks and pushing around reporters.

And another thing...Why do the police who are patroling the big stations hang around in packs of four, five and six? Shouldn't they be more dispersed around the station? I'm not a cop (although I do have three in my family) but it seems to me that the cops I see standing around chatting in groups of five or more would see a lot more if they spread around the station more. But what do I know?

#155265  by Don31

Idiot Railfan wrote: And another thing...Why do the police who are patroling the big stations hang around in packs of four, five and six? Shouldn't they be more dispersed around the station? I'm not a cop (although I do have three in my family) but it seems to me that the cops I see standing around chatting in groups of five or more would see a lot more if they spread around the station more. But what do I know?
Because if they were dispersed, they might actually have to do some work.

#155278  by NJTRailfan

I wouldn't be surprised if the police were in a group of four because they usually have two cops on patrol but then theres usually two more cops to back them up. I saw this even beofre 9-11 and when I was a Photo 101 and 102 student at CCM during the fall 2000 and spring 2001 semesters and they wer always great to me. Man have tiems changed since then. I'm glad I no longer have to take photo classes. i'l lbet because of stuff liek this alot of peopel who would think to take photo classes in college and high school are thinking twice and professors are seeing a drop in enrollemnt and elimination in photo classes due to stuff like this.

the worst that could happen was a PAPD, NJT PD or employee of these agencies could tell you to stop what you're doign and leave due to liability issues but now it's become a 1,000 times worse.

#155315  by nick11a

Metalrailz wrote:Nick11a wrote:
I'm confident that if she saw me on the train, she would feel moved to ride the train more.

Hey Nick do you find it hard to walk through doorways with your head swelled that much??? And does your head and body fit into the same room?? LOL :-D
Actually, yes I do. Those that have met me know that I am 6' 3". So I have bumped my head on many occasions in houses and what not- especially schoolbuses back in the day- oh the pain, the pain. :-D

And yes Bob, subconciously, I was asking for it.

#155331  by chuchubob

nick11a wrote: And yes Bob, subconciously, I was asking for it.
Tough! The readers will have to wait a little longer before being graced with your visage again.

Bob

#155336  by nick11a

chuchubob wrote:
nick11a wrote: And yes Bob, subconciously, I was asking for it.
Tough! The readers will have to wait a little longer before being graced with your visage again.

Bob
Haha. Good, you didn't take the bait. :P

#156174  by Silverliner II

Just as an aside (and I am not sure if it is still there)....but I once saw a sign on the mezzanine of the Journal Square PATH station back in 1998 that listed some rules of conduct.

On the list was a warning that "all photography on PATH property was prohibited".

Obviously, media is not to be included in that warning. And of course we've all seen photos of PATH equipment and facilities in many books and magazines...either sanctioned by the PA, or taken on the sly.....

#156283  by Lackawanna484

Silverliner II wrote:Just as an aside (and I am not sure if it is still there)....but I once saw a sign on the mezzanine of the Journal Square PATH station back in 1998 that listed some rules of conduct.

On the list was a warning that "all photography on PATH property was prohibited".

Obviously, media is not to be included in that warning. And of course we've all seen photos of PATH equipment and facilities in many books and magazines...either sanctioned by the PA, or taken on the sly.....
No photography has always been in the PATH rules. They're enforcing that rule now...

#158102  by Terrapin Station

Silverliner II wrote:Just as an aside (and I am not sure if it is still there)....but I once saw a sign on the mezzanine of the Journal Square PATH station back in 1998 that listed some rules of conduct.

PATH's RULES

Sorry for the blurriness of the photo. Anyhow, why would the "no photography" rule not apply to the media?

#158145  by Silverliner II

Terrapin Station wrote:Sorry for the blurriness of the photo. Anyhow, why would the "no photography" rule not apply to the media?
Well, that would be the same as barring media from say, Trenton Station to cover people's travels during the Thanksgiving rush....they're allowed to do that there, so why not at a PATH station too?

#158302  by Ken W2KB

The media is allowed to photograph on PATH, just need to notify PATH so adequate safety can be assured. Likewise anyone else can request permission of PATH per their regs.

#158485  by Allan

Terrapin Station wrote:

PATH's RULES

Sorry for the blurriness of the photo. Anyhow, why would the "no photography" rule not apply to the media?
Wasn't the taking of that photo a violation of the "no photography" rule?

[Just asking].

#159605  by Terrapin Station

Allan wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:

PATH's RULES

Wasn't the taking of that photo a violation of the "no photography" rule?

[Just asking].
I will not perjure myself.
 #159617  by Head-end View

I'm surprised to hear that it has always been illegal to take photos on PATH. Back in about 1990 I stood at the end of the platform at Journal Square and at Harrison for a while taking pictures, and no one even seemed to notice. I even took them from the front windows of a train that same day. The conductor did politely ask why I was taking photos but when I explained about being a rail buff, we had a good friendly conversation. He didn't tell me not to continue. :wink:
 #929783  by keithsy

They were always a useless police force that served no real purpose. Many of them were hired because of nepotism and favors. They have a narrow civil-service mentality.