Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1112935  by drumz0rz

I've found some examples of people owning authentic roll-signs on-line and I was wondering if it is possible to buy these. Does the MTA allow people to purchase parts of decommissioned trains? What happens to them? Do they just throw them out?
 #1113025  by lirr42

I'm not aware of any official means of getting things off required equipment, the MTA does not have an outlet store, I think.

Most of the rollsigns you see are either
  1. homemade, or
  2. stolen
You light be able to find one online someplace, a quick look at EBay tuned up no results.

Good luck.
 #1113209  by Rbts Stn

$25 for a railroad spike?

Plus $50 processing.
 #1113301  by pbass

I have a rollsign from the IRT,it was not stolen or homemade! Chances are the MTA has no more rollsigns available.Did you try the Transit Museum in Brooklyn? As more equipment is retired the collectibles usually go to the Museum or the outlet in GCT.I havenot been to Brooklyn in a few years & the outlet used to have some items there.FYI,since 9/11/01,the MTA,Con Edison,UPS,etc.,are very protective of their logos,uniforms,vehicles,and so on.Prior to that stupid act,I was able to buy an MTA jacket with a 'M' patch.Collectibles are harder to come buy unless you look on EBAY or a train show.Good luck in your endeavor.
 #1113676  by Allan

pbass wrote:I have a rollsign from the IRT,it was not stolen or homemade! Chances are the MTA has no more rollsigns available.Did you try the Transit Museum in Brooklyn? As more equipment is retired the collectibles usually go to the Museum or the outlet in GCT.I havenot been to Brooklyn in a few years & the outlet used to have some items there.FYI,since 9/11/01,the MTA,Con Edison,UPS,etc.,are very protective of their logos,uniforms,vehicles,and so on.Prior to that stupid act,I was able to buy an MTA jacket with a 'M' patch.Collectibles are harder to come buy unless you look on EBAY or a train show.Good luck in your endeavor.

The Transit Museum does not have old roll signs anymore. In fact they don't have old car number plates, station pillar signs, loose tokens (the only tokens sold by the TM are in jewelry or in packaged sets) or any vintage items.

Why, you may ask.

The answer is because the NYCT Dept of Materiel (DoM) won't let the TM sell any. Rather than share the potential revenue with the TM, the Dept of Materiel wants it all for itself. Given the prices that the DoM wants, plus the handling fees, I am surprised they sell anything.
 #1113884  by pbass

Allan:your explanation is very valid.I noticed the last time I perused the Museum & the GCT outlet,what few items they had of interest were more costly than years before.It would stand to reason that the NYCTA is aware how desirable collecting has become and feels they can sell the product at a much higher cost to the buyer in this method than previously before,but only to those who can afford to.As I said before, some items will most likely not become available due to security reasons regardless of the price.What ever is being sold now or later, one must have deep pockets & a large savings & checking accounts.