Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#514155  by pnaw10

Trainer -- excellent idea with April Fools Day coming up. Even though we'll never see it happen, it's funny to think about. And if I actually had the time, it might even be neat to have some "Photoshop fun" with that. I can see it now: a nice aerial shot of a long freight train rumbling through the desert...

...with a half-a-dozen NH locos pulling it.

#514198  by Otto Vondrak

What's keeping the new engines from entering service? Is there some sort of process for inspection and testing before they are okayed for service?

-otto-

#514315  by FL9AC

the locomotives need to be test-run first before entering service, but the 125 has yet to start testing. Nobody seems to know why it's still hanging out at Harmon Shops.

#514342  by Nova55

How is it LIRR and NYA get away with no toilets on freight and work train service then?

#514383  by Noel Weaver

Most likely this engine is not yet owned by the railroad but rather by the
buider. It will have to go through a period of "burn in" where it will run
on test trains simulating actual passenger train operation. Probably the
engine and a couple of coaches. It will have to run for a set number of
absolute trouble free miles. After a satisfactory burn in, the engine will be
turned over officially to the railroad and then it will fall under a warranty
period for any more troubles or modifications. Every single system and
component will have to function completely trouble free before this can
actually happen.
Every single M-2 went through this proceedure back in the 70's and I
think every other piece of new equipment also went through a proceedure
of this nature.
Noel Weaver

#514543  by Jeff Smith

Noel Weaver wrote: Every single M-2 went through this proceedure back in the 70's and I
think every other piece of new equipment also went through a proceedure
of this nature.
Noel Weaver
Growing up in Mamaroneck, I remember seeing the test runs, the no-passenger stops, etc. Even though I have a certain amount of nostalgia for the washboards (4400's?) and the smell of creosote in the morning, I'm sure memory has faded regarding how bad they must have been at the end of their lives.

I'm sure the new engines, like the M-2's, will provide improved service over their predecessors.

#514702  by RearOfSignal

MNR Bulletin Order, Effective March 16, 2008:

MNR & CDOT units added as follows:

110-115, 125-130

#514717  by Jayjay1213

Saw the 125 headed south today coming into Croton Harmon on the north end of a few passenger cars.

#514803  by M1 9147

I know that the scheme of 125 is in the NH scheme, is the 110-115 going to be in MN scheme?

#514999  by ajp

in work train and non passenger duties will there be only one engineer operator in the cab or will there be 2 for safety to see down the blind side of the train?

#515009  by RearOfSignal

ajp wrote:in work train and non passenger duties will there be only one engineer operator in the cab or will there be 2 for safety to see down the blind side of the train?
You don't need 2 engineers when you have an engineer and a conductor.

#515617  by Penn Central

I never liked running long nose forward but it is a lot different today with cab signals. Except for Grand Central, and southward movements on the Danbury and Waterbury Branches, you will never come upon a stop signal unless you are on a restricted cab. (also the Beacon Line at CP 58) When Noel and I ran the GG-1s, we never had good visibility with the long nose in front of us, but we had a fireman on the left side to look out for signals. Metro-North engineers have been running the GP-35s safely for many years and half of the time the long nose was forward. If you can't trust the guy in the other seat to call out a signal, you stop the train and go over and look!

#515633  by Otto Vondrak

This thread is for the discussion of new deliveries and putting the engines in service.

You can discuss the operational qualities of the locomotive here:

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... &start=165

Let's keep this thread NEWS oriented, please, separate from the operational discussion.

-otto-

#515637  by RearOfSignal

Has anyone seen 125? Is it still in Harmon?

#515798  by FL9AC

as far as I know it's still in Harmon. Probably will be there for a little while longer testing.