Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#715630  by Fan Railer

DutchRailnut wrote:m1 used GE1255's= 600 hp
m2 used GE1259= 648 hp
m3 uses GE 1251=560 hp
m4 uses GE1259 = 648 hp
ACMU's used GE 1240's = 400 hp

no info on m6

on M1 and M3 the propulsion is Cam controlled DC resistor control.
on M2/4 and 6 same system is used for DC control but the AC is controlled in AC mode (Thiristors I believe)

the m7 has ac propulsion.
neat!

the M7 has mitsubishi propulsion: two inverters per car and four 265 hp AC motors on each car.

M6 spec would probably be the same as M2 and M4.
Last edited by Fan Railer on Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #716092  by Nasadowsk

DutchRailnut wrote: on M2/4 and 6 same system is used for DC control but the AC is controlled in AC mode (Thiristors I believe)
Thyristor was the delivered configuration on the 4 and 6, but the M-2 had Ignitrons from the factory. They were swapped out for thyristors some point later on.

I'm pretty sure the basic design of the AC side is much like the Silverliners, i.e. the three stacked rectifier bridges and 3 windings on the main xmfr, etc.
 #729014  by elec tech

Can't remember much on the ct rains but the m1 and 3's also use a series/parallel configuration on inital startup. Basically on initial start, the motors for the car are wirind in series giving slow accel. After a certain drop in amperage as the motors wind up, they switch over to a parrallel config. that gives much higher top speeds. Motor speed is generally regualted by feild shunting through resistors located on the outside underneath. There's much more to it but thats the very basics.

If I remember correctly, ct trains work very similar to m1/3's but are simpler if you looked at them on a diagram. There resistors are roof mounted in the middle of the car.