Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1495188  by Rockingham Racer

ApproachMedium wrote:I am curious if any of this stuff will make it to the NEC for demo as Jan the amfleet replacement RFP should be coming out.
Connecticut would do well to take a look. There's a tiff there with Amtrak over lack or equipment and denial of boarding AMtrak trains.
 #1495198  by dowlingm

given CT's perpetual moaning about State finances (and a desire to keep a lid on the Hartford project's costs) isn't it more likely that they will be in the market for something like the MARC single levels or the San Joaquin Comets than something new/shiny?
 #1495218  by Jenny on a M2

Yup. Making a go of things with used non-electrified equipment is kinda our thing. Electric gear is a whole different story.

Also, if new equipment is going to happen you can bet it will be the same rolling stock as ordered for non-electrified MNR service (and probs on the same contract as an option as well).
 #1495228  by mdvle

Backshophoss wrote:Siemen's order book is already full for now with the Amtrak Charger order, VIA's Corridor stock/Charger order, and the Caltrain/Midwest orders
It all comes down to how much capacity Siemens has vs the required time scale.

If Siemens bids there would be certain advantages that a large existing fleet of cars would bring to the table in maintenance inventory and training.
 #1495238  by njtmnrrbuff

Amtrak is also considering pursuing self propelled trainsets, probably for some of their state sponsored corridor routes. I think that is a good move, especially for routes like the Springfield Line and the Keystone Corridor, where many stops are very close to each other.

Many of the state sponsored corridor routes that operate as extension of NEC trains will most likely still be operating with Siemens cars so they will need Chargers to power them.
 #1495261  by ApproachMedium

As long as CT rail is in bed with somebody over at the T in boston, they will continue to work out shady deals on getting junk cars. The MARC units were offered and passed up in favor for the garbage they run right now that should have been scrapped 10 years ago.
 #1495291  by east point

If a reliable DMU could be acquired with sufficient effective HP per axel that exceeds a loco hauled train then the acceleration and consequently time keeping would be great. Of course if ridership keeps increasing the electrification of the route and then using CT DOT M-8s or similar would be called for in the future.
 #1495354  by Jenny on a M2

east point wrote:If a reliable DMU could be acquired with sufficient effective HP per axel that exceeds a loco hauled train then the acceleration and consequently time keeping would be great. Of course if ridership keeps increasing the electrification of the route and then using CT DOT M-8s or similar would be called for in the future.
Dude, forget about electrification and M8s - we'd be happy just to have dual-mode locomotives and rolling stock that can clear the third rail in GCT.

As much as the foaming fangirl in me squeals at the thought of electrification I simply just don't see it happening anytime soon regardless of ridership increases; we've got wayyyy too many bridges to replace on the New Haven Line first. Oh, and that whole pesky Hartford viaduct thing.

That said, I agree with eolesen 200% that this isn't the place to have this discussion...the MNR board is. Mods, would you support moving this discussion fork over to the Hartford Line thread or maybe even starting a new topic over there?
 #1495356  by eolesen

Based on economic gravity, I'd say the Amfleets being replaced with Siemens is a given. The only issue becomes one of how many manufacturing floors they want to try supporting.
 #1495367  by daybeers

I highly doubt the New Haven-Springfield Line will ever be electrified: it's not worth it. What does need to get done, though, is Amtrak's finishing touches on the SLE tracks so they can run the M-8s because the current equipment is utter trash.
 #1495401  by njtmnrrbuff

The Springfield Line will never get electrified. There's probably no need for it to. I wouldn't be surprised if the state sponsored corridors out east use the Siemens cars and charger units. If Amtrak is going to buy them for LD trains as well as the state sponsored corridors in the Midwest and along the West Coast, then it wouldn't be a bad idea for Amtrak to buy their own Chargers for all of the diesel operations period. What I like about the Chargers is that they can accelerate well, unlike Genesis units.
 #1495404  by Nasadowsk

daybeers wrote:I highly doubt the New Haven-Springfield Line will ever be electrified: it's not worth it.
njt/mnrrbuff wrote:The Springfield Line will never get electrified. There's probably no need for it to.
At 34 trains a day between Hartford and New Haven already, there's a good case for it. That's a few more a day than the Keystone Corridor. Only issue is the M-8s can't go faster than 100mph. There's nothing that says that CT has to buy M-8s, though, other than some economy of scale with maintenance (maybe).
David Benton wrote:The case for electrification may change quite rapidly in the next few years, as high carbon pricing becomes more necessary.
Widescale carbon taxes in the US won't happen until the day after the last nuclear plant closes. Otherwise, it would be a huge leg up for an industry the left absolutely despises.