Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1356637  by ACeInTheHole

theozno wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:due to GCT partnership and the restaurants there are suppose to be equal amounts of trains going to lower level .
No all people will eat down there waiting on the NH line. Example my family, 2 full pizzas up the block at lex and 45th for $16 vs spending $50+ on 6 people downstairs last time we waited for a train on lower level.
Mmm. Sounds crusty.
 #1356640  by runningwithscalpels

theozno wrote:No all people will eat down there waiting on the NH line. Example my family, 2 full pizzas up the block at lex and 45th for $16 vs spending $50+ on 6 people downstairs last time we waited for a train on lower level.
Congratulations, your family saved money by buying cheap pizza up the street. Plenty of people utilize the GCT food court that aren't even passengers. I'm sure your family neglecting to get a slice from Two Boots/a burger from Shake Shack was cancelled out by the people who swarm that place during lunch hour on a normal work day.

Just because a certain percentage of people will forgo the offerings in the food court does not mean that intentionally creating foot traffic for the tenant vendors of the lower level is a complete waste of time.
 #1357568  by Jeff Smith

checkthedoorlight wrote:I've noticed that with the current schedule, there aren't ANY New Haven line trains that use the lower level in GCT on weekends. Anyone know why not?
We're just not a lower-level class of people. You know, we prefer top choice steak to wraps and yogurt and such LOL. :wink:
 #1357661  by Jeff Smith

That's right! Us "Red Train" people :wink: like our prime cuts!

I've actually eaten there a few times (MJ's) back when I was somebody and not just the CEO :P . I always thought it was pretty good, right up there with Keen's Chop House, Ben Bensons, and Smith and Wollensky. And I have an overpass-type story about Ben Bensons hee hee. It's certainly not over-rated like Ruth's Chris or Shake Shack (ducks).
 #1357796  by Backshophoss

There was a Deli,on the upper level,next to the OTB/New Haven ticket windows,made the "best" Roast Beef on a roll
sandwich,that was dinner on the way home,from many day trips to the city,it was tiny place,but was great deli food,
and fairly priced to boot.
All off peak and weekend service,along with Amtrak was always on the upper level,sometimes the late nite Bronx locals
would load on the lower level,that were the domain of 1100 series MU's,then battle scared M-1's.
 #1357844  by Ridgefielder

DutchRailnut wrote:and still smells like fish or somethin..
Eh, after the second beer you don't really notice any more. :wink:
Backshophoss wrote:There was a Deli,on the upper level,next to the OTB/New Haven ticket windows,made the "best" Roast Beef on a roll
sandwich,that was dinner on the way home,from many day trips to the city,it was tiny place,but was great deli food,
and fairly priced to boot.
I think I remember that- was it around the corner to the left if you're facing the ticket windows, toward the ramp leading down to the lower level?