Railroad Forums 

• Riverside Parking

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#530319  by Jersey_Mike

Is there typically parking still available at the D Riverside terminal by around 11am? If not what are some alternatives for a trip that involves going to a 7pm Sox game and leaving that same night? For example I know the Wellesley Farms MTBA Station has a reasonably sized parking lot.

I want to avoid driving anywhere near the center city and also don't want to pay an arm and a leg for parking or spend time in a fruitless search for a space. The car/person I will be traveling with does have a handicapped parking tag that can be used in a pinch. We will be driving in on the Mass Pike, but were warned about the poor service of the Woostah Line compared with the D Riverside.

Thanks.
 #530329  by danib62

Jersey_Mike wrote:Is there typically parking still available at the D Riverside terminal by around 11am? If not what are some alternatives for a trip that involves going to a 7pm Sox game and leaving that same night? For example I know the Wellesley Farms MTBA Station has a reasonably sized parking lot.

I want to avoid driving anywhere near the center city and also don't want to pay an arm and a leg for parking or spend time in a fruitless search for a space. The car/person I will be traveling with does have a handicapped parking tag that can be used in a pinch. We will be driving in on the Mass Pike, but were warned about the poor service of the Woostah Line compared with the D Riverside.

Thanks.
I'd suggest driving into Brookline and parking by the center median on beacon street and hoping on the C line. I believe you don't need to feed the meters after either 5 or 6 pm.

#530343  by StevieC48

Riverside would be your best bet. Because it's off 128 near 90 and it's a flat rate of $3.00. If you park on Beacon St around 11am you need to feed the meter so often. Good luck Stevie from Seashore

#530345  by danib62

Actually there a good number of 10 hour meters along that beacon st. median. I believe it's a quarter an hour. Though I'm not sure how fast they fill up.

#530520  by TomNelligan

There's also some legal, unmetered parking along (and on side streets off of) the outer part of Comm Ave, especially west of Washington Street although it stops short of BC. Just beware of the resident-only zones. And if you don't mind taking a bus rather than a trolley, there's also legal street parking available in Brighton along the outer part of bus route 57 (Watertown to Kenmore Square) that gets you within a block of Fenway.

#530608  by RailBus63

I don't think I've ever seen the Riverside lot completely full.
 #1367335  by Rbts Stn

Thread from the dead!

I rarely park in lots, 40 years or so of Boston driving has taught me most of the tricks of where to park for free or at a cheap meter, but we have to go into Boston on Saturday for quite some time and the Green Line makes more sense than $35 in a lot, and I like the idea of being near 128 in case we do get 6" of the white stuff, so we'll probably park at Riverside or Woodland.

I've never signed up for the Pay by phone deal and would prefer to keep it that way, on a Saturday are Riverside and Woodland (I like the idea of a garage if it's going to snow) attended so I can just pay cash or credit card at either of these stations?

Thanks!
 #1367338  by octr202

It's been while since I've been there, but I seem to remember Woodland is a ticket/pay-on-foot garage system. Website says credit cards accepted so would think you don't need to do pay-by-phone there.
 #1367348  by Rbts Stn

I saw that (and should have mentioned it above), was hoping for some current confirmation. I may just drive by there after work to confirm.

U appreciate all assistance.
 #1367370  by mgdemarco

You can also drive to Cleveland Circle and park on Beacon Street west of Chestnut Hill Ave and take the C or the D.
 #1367451  by NH2060

I used to use the Riverside lot quite a bit and would highly recommend it. The Woodland garage has a smaller number of parking spaces so that could present a problem depending on the time of day and how many other people have the same idea as you; it is a garage so your car would be sheltered by any rain and snow, etc. But all in all you really can't go wrong with Riverside. Right off 128 @ Exit 22 and in a very safe location. Just make sure you bring enough cash with you depending on how long for up to 7 days you plan to park there. It's about $55-60 I think for 7 days.
 #1367486  by johnpbarlow

Newton Centre has a parking lot (pay by credit card at $0.75/hour) off Cypress St next to the Riverside line tracks that's a stone's throw from the T station. While some spaces are limited to three hours max (until 6pm when parking becomes free), IIRC there are several (20+ ?) all-day spaces available. For free parking along the Riverside line, I often park (there's room for about a dozen cars) on Hammond St about a quarter mile south of the Chestnut Hill T station. There is a Monday-Saturday prohibition against parking 7AM-9AM on Hammond St.
Last edited by johnpbarlow on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1367487  by Rbts Stn

Quite familiar with Beacon Street and Cleveland Circle, I lived there during the Flutie years. The original goal though was to park somewhere where we'd have easy/quick access to 128 in case there was a storm, as I don't trust Brookline or Boston to clear Beacon Street or Chestnut Hill Avenue well enough.

Of course if the forecast backs off any more, I'll be parking at the school, like always.