Railroad Forums 

• Beverly Draw- Failure Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#483469  by concordgirl

CRail wrote:[The part that really stings though is the fact that because one 50 foot section of double track is out the system is now down 8 train sets. That right there is enough to get me to start looking for new solutions.
Would it make sense for a line that has a historically troublesome drawbridge to have some kind of smaller terminal prior to the bridge where they do keep some trainsets? I mean in addition to their actual terminus points in Rockport, etc.?

Or is that just another whole can of worms....? ;-)

#483618  by boatsmate

from where I sit, It looks like the tug being used for the job is too small for the currents and conditions. someone should have stoped the operation long before the 3rd time the bridge was hit. It is reported that this was the 3rd time the bridge was struck in the last week. someone is a sleep at the switch allowing that to happen.

#486845  by caduceus

Just saw on wbztv.com - the bridge is closed again this morning due to a mechanical failure preventing it from locking closed. Buses are expected between Beverly and Salem, but they are urging alternate routes like driving to Wonderland or Anderson.

#486860  by tom18287

hmmm. i wonder if the bridge will have to be repaired. its been shit down multiple times as of late

#486942  by octr202

T Alerts claims it's reopened with residual delays as of 11:41 AM.

#486954  by Diverging Route

caduceus wrote:Just saw on wbztv.com - the bridge is closed again this morning due to a mechanical failure preventing it from locking closed. Buses are expected between Beverly and Salem, but they are urging alternate routes like driving to Wonderland or Anderson.
Ha! They suggest people drive to Anderson, then cancel the trains with spare capacity on the Lowell line -- the Anderson shuttles -- to help make up for the missing trainsets serving Salem inbound.

#486970  by banshee

is Jay Cashman being billed for fixing the bridge? it was their barge that started all this hullaballoo..or does another BigDig company get a free pass by the Commonwealth?

#486973  by sery2831

The news was reporting that the T is saying this is unrelated to the barge incidents. Also, that barge was there for a harbor dredging operation not related to the finished Big Dig.

#487021  by banshee

sery2831 wrote:The news was reporting that the T is saying this is unrelated to the barge incidents. Also, that barge was there for a harbor dredging operation not related to the finished Big Dig.
I know..Beverly is a bit far away to be Dig related.
I was just ID-ing the company for anyone not familiar with them

#487833  by NealG

banshee wrote:is Jay Cashman being billed for fixing the bridge? it was their barge that started all this hullaballoo..or does another BigDig company get a free pass by the Commonwealth?
The MBTA will most likley file a claim for damages against Cashman which will most likley be covered by their marine insurance provider.

#493203  by octr202

Looks like Beverly Draw is out again:
Commuter Rail Newburyport/Rockport is being diverted between Beverly and Salem due to bridge problem. Substitute bus service will replace regular train sevice between Beverly and Salem. Please allow extra time for your commute or seek alternalte transportation. 1/17/2008 7:14 AM

#493238  by acela 2036

Oh great! How much longer is this gonna happen???
 #493273  by lkitch

Thurs Jan17 ~7:40am at Lynn, LED-sign says Beverly bridge is out. Outbound train comes thru, towards Salem. About 20 minutes later another outbound train comes thru to Salem. Waited until about 8:15am (cold!) for an inbound, since we know there are at least 2 trains on inbound/Salem side of Danvers River. Can't figure out why no train came back inbound towards Boston. Any ideas?
(After 45 min wait, aborted the mission in search of a bus...well at least it wasn't sleeting this morning.)

#493290  by gallja02

I hear there are plans in place to replace the swing span with a new one this summer. It is definitely a problem. We were delayed about an hour today. pulled into Beverly at about 7:30, the first bus didn't come until a bit before 8, and then just one bus. The train finally left Salem about 8:30 or so. overall wound up in BON at about 9:15 (scheduled 7:57). This is happening all too often now. The new bridge will be nice. Hope they replace enough of the systems at the same time.

#493451  by sery2831

Where did you hear that they are planning to replace the span?