Railroad Forums 

• Terrorists are getting what they want on the MBTA

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#18536  by P2c3689

Sealin the trash cans is great but, what the hell are you supposed to do with your garbage? Eat it ?

Trevor H.

#18974  by claytor

Dear CSX-
The Double Deckers are the only MBTA coaches with trash recepticles anyway!. Those of us that are in the Rail Passenger business support and understand the security measures, minor as they may seem. We have attended training and breifing sessions that would open your eyes also!

#18989  by SbooX

Anyone see the cover of this weeks Weekly Dig? Look for their black boxes in Boston, and tell me the cover isn't remarkably appropriate. (Sorry, I can't find the image online.)

#19060  by ST214

Claytor, that is not true. The 500's and 1500's both have trash receptacles in the bathrooms.

Also, the MBTA will not blame themselves for the trash all over the coaches, they WILL BLAME US. Well, we are obviously obligated to haul our trash around with us until we get home, or to work. With all the removed trashbarrels, littering is also going thru the roof.

Besides, keep in mind these people are heartless, cold -blooded sick twisted animals. They don't need trashbarrels, they use themselves to hide the bombs, then blow themselves up. And for what????

#19295  by efin98

ST214 wrote:Besides, keep in mind these people are heartless, cold -blooded sick twisted animals. They don't need trashbarrels, they use themselves to hide the bombs, then blow themselves up. And for what????
That alone makes the whole situation downright stupid. punish the many for the threats of a few. What's next, removing bathrooms from trains becaue they could hide thm in there?

#19406  by CSX Conductor

That is exactly what I was saying before ST, sealing the trash barrels off will not deter them from leaving a bomb or anything else, they'll just stuff it under a seat, or in one of the traps of a coach etc...

Claytor, you had to take special classes? For Amtrak or MBTA?

#19552  by bierhere

I've noticed that the doors to the engines from the head/tail cars is never locked.

Conductors routinuely walk from the last car into the engine without using any type of key.

In additon, many of the electronic closets in the cars can be opened with pens or anything that will push a button ( like a railroad key )

If the T was serious about security and not public relations, would you not secure these areas as well?

I have no objection to the trash bins being sealed, but there are clearly more obvious issues that are not being addressed

#19599  by efin98

CSX Conductor wrote:That is exactly what I was saying before ST, sealing the trash barrels off will not deter them from leaving a bomb or anything else, they'll just stuff it under a seat, or in one of the traps of a coach etc...
Didn't mean to copy what you said, didn't see your reply. What you said is right on the money though.

#20178  by CSX Conductor

In my opinion the whole darn country is wasting far too much $$ on "Heightened security"..

#21993  by claytor

All MBCR and MBTA Employees are being required to take awareness classes. Some managers are being trained by various State and Federal agencies.

#22135  by CSX Conductor

Meanwhile I still see Conductors or Asst. Conductors sitting in the rear control car during the rush hour............because the trains are overcrowded and they feel it would be too difficult to collect fares. LOL.

Let's get our priorities straight here but correcting minor problems like this. I agree many trains are overcrowded lately, but at the same time there are cars out of service due to tight budgets etc............well, make better attempts to collect the revenue which could be used towards coach repairs and or maintanence, which in turn would mean less standees on the trains, in turn making it easier for my fello railroaders to do their jobs!!

How about the car shortage? Instead of spending all this money on "How to pick out a terrorist boarding your train-101" classes, put the money towards maintenance for the passengers who are paying for the service. Because if the inoperative air conditioning and over-crowding due to cars out of service etc continues....many passengers will stop riding the T which would be aother loss in revenue!
 #22309  by jfturner

At What Price Should Freedom be Sacrificed for Safety?

Freedom unfortunately requires a degree of risk.
Yet most Americans believe you can have safety and still be 100% free. This is not true. Freedom comes at a price. Politicians will tell you otherwise, afterall, that is what the majority of Americans want to hear. It borders between being naive and ignorant.

Restricting our freedoms and trying to create a police state is exactly the goal is of terrorism. We must learn to live with risk if we are to remain free. We cannot continue down this path. To do so means only those in power win because eventually a police state could exist.

They (politicians) are willing to take my camera and thus my fundamental freedom to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" but the majority of them won't dare try to take my gun. Maybe its because guns have a lobby (no problem there, that's democrcacy). Its time freedom has a lobby too, and its called going on with life.

Finally - our forefathers once tangled with the same question. Though in a different context. For those who truly understand this nation's history. (And most people don't anymore) There was a thing called the "French & Indian War." The colonists asked England at the time to supply troops to protect us (see "Safety") from the French and their Native-American allies. England gladly helped out. But there was a high cost - so England started to tax the colonists on everything and gave them no voice in Parliament or with the King. This taxation without representation was a form of lost freedom. Hence we then had the Revolution.

We can never be safe if we want to remain free. We just need to be prepared to deal with whatever happens.

Jeff Turner
Shrewsbury, MA
5/28/2004

#22323  by jrc520

You sir, put it perfectly. I shake your hand, even if only through this post.

#22498  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

the MBTA should get more money form the state to help repair the broken cars, and money to buy more cars. Didn't the T order some double deckers last year or something? when are those being delivered?

#23201  by Otto Vondrak

If someone wants to put something that doesnt belong into a trash receptacle, a warning sign and some duct tape is not going to stop them from doing so.

-otto-