Railroad Forums 

• "inbound" "outbound" designations

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#9452  by dcm74

Shouldn't it be one stop OUTBOUND on the Green Line to Park St.? Inbound would take you to Lechmere.

Thread split to allow reopening and debate to continue.
Have at it folks.

#9457  by Reddy Rocker

Looks like more food for the FAQ to me. Inbound/Outbound is based on Park Street, so inbound is always toward Park Street, and outbound is away from Park Street.

#9561  by efin98

Reddy Rocker wrote:Looks like more food for the FAQ to me. Inbound/Outbound is based on Park Street, so inbound is always toward Park Street, and outbound is away from Park Street.
Actually I think it's based on the terminals. Inbound is bound for Alewife, Outbound is bound for Ashmont and Braintree.

No!

#9573  by ckb

I hope you're kidding ...... or suggesting a more conventional system ....

But INBOUND/OUTBOUND is absolutely based on Park Street.

If you're at Harvard and attempting to go to Alewife on the red line, you most definitely want to head for the OUTBOUND track, because it is in the opposite direction from Park.

#9583  by fm535

I mentioned about the Green Line Inbound and Outbound only. Park Street has always been the point to determine this. When I mentioned the Red Line, I also mentioned Alewife, since for all intents and purposes, the rule can't apply when the starting point is Park Street. I believe the sign for the Red Line in Park Street is Northbound and Southbound.

#9751  by ceo

Actually, I'm pretty sure Park Street is signed as "To Ashmont & Braintree" and To Alewife".

#9818  by ckb

yes, i think you're right.

although the little light up signs that (sometimes) tell you if a red line train is arriving "under" say northbound and southbound (or nb and sb).

#9863  by fm535

That is the sign that I was talking about, on the tracks going toward Boylston, by the info booth, it says Northbound and Southbound, in red.

#10307  by orangeline

Hi from Chicagoland,

I see that Logan Airport to Lexington by rail is not feasible, especially considering I won't have unlimited time to make connections to a bus, etc.
Unfortunately, I suppose I'll end up renting a car. :(

Thanks for your input. If you're ever in my neck of the woods and need to find your way around, just drop a line in the CTA forum.

#10740  by Reddy Rocker

Actually I think it's based on the terminals. Inbound is bound for Alewife, Outbound is bound for Ashmont and Braintree.
Sorry to pull a Mr. Dana, but Wrong, Ed. Go to Harvard, like the other guy said, you'll see that the inbound train at Harvard goes to Ashmont/Braintree, because that is the direction of Park Street.

#10937  by efin98

Reddy Rocker wrote:
Sorry to pull a Mr. Dana, but Wrong, Ed. Go to Harvard, like the other guy said, you'll see that the inbound train at Harvard goes to Ashmont/Braintree, because that is the direction of Park Street.
See above where your assessment was refuted by another member.
The sign was either wrong or extrememly old, either way that isn't how it is. Outbound tends to be away from the heart of the city, which is wht Ashmont and Braintree is.
I stand by what I said.

#11022  by Reddy Rocker

Wrong again. It was NOT refuted by another member. Inbound/outbound is always based on Park Street/Government Center.

Look, just go to Harvard. You'll see. Not to mention that Alewife is also away from the heart of the city, which is Park Street.

#11098  by efin98

Reddy Rocker wrote:Wrong again. It was NOT refuted by another member. Inbound/outbound is always based on Park Street/Government Center. Look, just go to Harvard. You'll see. Not to mention that Alewife is also away from the heart of the city, which is Park Street.
Karl I have been there and I have not seen it. Every other sign at every other station that I have been to(and I have been to almost all of them) have Alewifebound as inbound and Ashmontbound or Braintreebound as outbound.
Park Street makes absolutely no sense whatsoever as it's a regular stop on the line. Harvard might make more sense since it was a terminal for years, not Park Street.

#11162  by efin98

I am starting to think that the whole "inbound/outbound signage is another victim of T logic, or lack there of.
Last edited by efin98 on Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

#11506  by CS

Actually...
When you say inbound or outbound it refers to the city. You either are going IN the city or OUT the city which is why if your going towards Alewife your going outbound, and when your going to Braintree or Ashmont your also going outbound.

I think this discussion should continue so I am reopening the thread.