Railroad Forums 

• Remembering the 01400s

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1369798  by jonnhrr

Wow. Those interior shots bring back memories of riding them to school every day.

Thanks, John.
 #1369944  by CRail

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:They can't move on their own power because propulsion is shot, but they are fully capable of moving. It just has to be as dead-tow trailers.
Boy, you love poo-pooing equipment for seemingly no reason! These were permanently removed from work service when their universally utilized air compressors were needed for something else and were thenceforth unusable. After that, the third rail shoes and other stuff was stripped off of them probably for safety reasons (taking neglected equipment off the power grid is probably a good idea especially for 600v circuitry!). They can't move under their own power because they were deliberately disabled, it's got nothing to do with the propulsion being "shot," as I'm sure they'd work fine if you put power to them and they'd stop fine if their source of air were put back.
 #1370061  by F-line to Dudley via Park

CRail wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:They can't move on their own power because propulsion is shot, but they are fully capable of moving. It just has to be as dead-tow trailers.
Boy, you love poo-pooing equipment for seemingly no reason! These were permanently removed from work service when their universally utilized air compressors were needed for something else and were thenceforth unusable. After that, the third rail shoes and other stuff was stripped off of them probably for safety reasons (taking neglected equipment off the power grid is probably a good idea especially for 600v circuitry!). They can't move under their own power because they were deliberately disabled, it's got nothing to do with the propulsion being "shot," as I'm sure they'd work fine if you put power to them and they'd stop fine if their source of air were put back.
Enough with the personal attacks, please. If you have something you want to say to me, take it to PM's instead of shooting your way guns-blazing into a second locked thread of the week.
 #1370905  by sery2831

Criticism or differences of opinion is not a personal attack. If you feel that was it should taken to a PM instead of a post with no value to the conversation. Any further off topic conversation will be removed.
 #1370948  by Disney Guy

But these cars were bought before the line became the Red Line. Anyone know what the original maps looked like? Have any of you seen them?
As far as I remember, prior to the spider map, there were no system maps in cars or stations. Rapid transit cars had listings of the stations on just their own routes, usually as painted or engraved metal plaques at the sides of the doors.

There was a paper map using just red, blue, and black. "Rapid transit" lines were blue. "Surface" lines (bus, etc.) were red. The Riverside line was blue. The Mattapan high speed line was red. The other light rails were red outside the subway. Where several routes shared the same street, only one red line was shown. On the back was a listing of all of the routes naming the streets they ran on but not mentioning frequency of service.
 #1371298  by jonnhrr

At one time there were neat pictorial maps that showed all the rapid transit lines including the Tremont St. /Bolyston St subway with elevated sections and subway portals depicted, along with some major points of interest such as Boston Garden, Fenway Park, etc.. Unfortunately I don't know of any online copies else I would post it. The 0600/0700 cars that preceded the 01400's on the Cambridge Dorchester line has these in each car, printed on translucent glass. The old East Boston cars might have had them too, I don't remember.

The maps were old enough that hey still showed the portals for the City Point and Egleston via Tremont car lines, and did not show the Riverside line.

Update: I did find a URL of the map I am talking about:

http://transitmaps.tumblr.com/post/1349 ... -mta-1940s

Jon
 #1371370  by BandA

Map shows (BU) University Field, 1953. Does not show Science Park stop which opened 1956. And doesn't show any of the urban-renewal destruction that began soon after...
 #1568160  by typesix

Doubtful. If the new cars work out, expect the 01400s to be sold for scrap or to any other museum that would want them. Expect the T to keep some of the 01700s as work cars to replace the 01400s.
 #1568173  by The EGE

01450/01455 are already at Seashore, likely in much better condition than these.