Railroad Forums 

• North Station El Station parts

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1413933  by Arborwayfan

Does anyone know the last time it was possible to walk on the high-level platform that originally held El trains (I assume from the Atlantic Avenue El) and for a while maybe served as a walkway between the OL station and the eastbound GL platform? Here's a picture of N Station; the high platform is on the left, with a single stub-end track to the left of it. https://www.digitalcommonwealth.org/sea ... :5h73q986d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I remember that high-level platform long after it was retired from use as an actual platform. It was an extension of the Green Line eastbound platform, with a few steps up connecting the two. I think I remember walking on it; I think it was how you got from the surface-level headhouse (the little brick headhouse that gave you the choice of down to the OL, out to the GL surface terminal, or up to the GL El) to the eastbound GL platform. Memory may be playing tricks on me, but I feel like I walked along it and down the steps to the GL platform. That would have been in the 80s sometime, or very early 90s. Certainly some kind of connection had existed. In the first picture you can see its roof between the GL and OL tracks in the middle of the picture. In this picture you can see the roof of the passage, the stairs that connected it to the high-level platform, and the high-level platform itself: https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/old-bos ... 380851.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Was the entrance from/through the Garden active as long as the Garden was there? IIRC there were two, the one in the picture and the one at the GL El station, and I think I used one of them once or twice as a small child.

By 1990, the high-level platform was blocked off; in this slide show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWOzW07x_SY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a picture of one end of it with the stairs walled off and graffiti on the wall.

By 1992, the passage was blocked off even though the Garden was still there. There was a plywood wall across the end of the GL platform, but either there were cracks or I happened to see it when they had part of the wall down for some reason because I remember looking. Or maybe it was just that you could see into it from the eastbound GL cars. At that time, if you climbed the stairs from the ground-level part of North Station you came to a landing where a passage branched off across Causeway Street. I think it led up to the high platform. It was closed off with chain-link fencing, and I remember peering in and noticing that the stairs had rubber non-skid surfaces and the typical round wooden handrails of the old BERy stations. As I say, it was closed off, and you had to follow the route that led to that long curved kind of fenced sidewalk that led along next to the westbound track to the westbound platform.
 #1414859  by jbvb

I walked that same way, up and along the former Atlantic Ave. platform many times. But I can't give a better date for its closure.
 #1414940  by Arborwayfan

Thanks! Do you remember if the platform had fences or walls on its sides when it was being used as a walkway, or if it was just open like a platform?

And looking at my post and some of the pictures, I realized that the old Atlantic Ave platform may have still been open in 1990; the photo shows one stairway closed but there may have been another and it doesn't show any more of the platform.
 #1417770  by jbvb

I *think* the side away from the tracks (toward the Garden) had a solid wall with occasional windows high up, like the rest of that wall of North Station Upper. And the side toward the trolley tracks was square paling steel fencing found in many other places on the MTA.