Railroad Forums 

• "Please pay your fare, it's only fair."

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1376484  by atlantis

Anybody heard the new automated announcements on the surface portion of the Green Line? On the Riverside Branch, when the doors are opened on the surface portion of the line, there is an overbearing announcement in a female/computer female voice that says "Please pay your fare, it's only fair." Now this can be annoying but I really feel bad for the drivers who have to hear it all day. They probably hear it in their sleep! The announcement is not played on the underground portion of the line as obviously, you pay when you enter the station. A better idea, IMHO, which was suggested by a Green Line driver would be to have an announcement that says: "Please proceed to the front of the train to pay your fare." Or something on those lines.
 #1376492  by Type 7 3684

I've also noticed they announce bus connections too. At Government Center, they say "please watch your step while exiting the train" due to the gap between the train and the platform there.
 #1376638  by jamesinclair

atlantis wrote:A better idea, IMHO, which was suggested by a Green Line driver would be to have an announcement that says: "Please proceed to the front of the train to pay your fare." Or something on those lines.
An even better idea would be to install tap pads at all doors like most rational transit agencies
 #1376788  by Diverging Route

jamesinclair wrote:
atlantis wrote:A better idea, IMHO, which was suggested by a Green Line driver would be to have an announcement that says: "Please proceed to the front of the train to pay your fare." Or something on those lines.
An even better idea would be to install tap pads at all doors like most rational transit agencies
And frequent, strict enforcement by officers able to fine and/or arrest. I think SF MUNI's fine is $110 -- and they don't give warnings. If well publicized, word will get around quickly.
 #1376888  by Aerie

Type 7 3684 wrote:At Government Center, they say "please watch your step while exiting the train" due to the gap between the train and the platform there.
I always chuckle at the recordings on the London Underground to "mind the gap" in a very strange voice. Took me a while to figure out what they were talking about.