Railroad Forums 

• 2016 Fare Increase discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1362789  by Rbts Stn

Boston.com has an article from yesterday discussing a possible 10% increase in fares next year, starting in July. Would be first increase in 2 years.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course they usually propose something outrageous (higher than this) and settle on something that seems more reasonable.
 #1362816  by RRCOMM

The game here is rigged so these guys earn 2 to 3 times as much as Commuter Rail employees (with better pensions and benefits).
 #1362901  by dbperry

Excellent counterpoint to the fare increase (even though it was written almost 2 months ago):

http://commonwealthmagazine.org/politic ... -improves/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1362938  by BandA

After the 2016 increase, the T should implement small annual increases rather than large bi-annual (or longer) increases. Much less of a shock. That's how private companies & even the post office do price increases.
 #1362961  by octr202

Well, that's what the legislation was intended to address by capping it to 5% every two years. Now we're just finding creative ways around that, rather than addressing the elephants (plural) in the room.
 #1363115  by BandA

A 2.5% annual increase is better than a 5% biennial increase.

If fare increases are limited to 2.5%/year, then logically union wage + benefit package costs should have the same cap, and average wages + benefits for non-union employees also the same cap. Like that's gonna happen.
 #1363565  by CRail

RRCOMM wrote:The game here is rigged so these guys earn 2 to 3 times as much as Commuter Rail employees (with better pensions and benefits).
Have any sources to site? I have it on good authority that this isn't remotely true.
 #1364721  by BandA

Inner Express Bus riders take it on the chin. Waltham, Newtonville, West Newton, etc still have CR fares that are disproportionate.
 #1364773  by rethcir

BandA wrote:Inner Express Bus riders take it on the chin. Waltham, Newtonville, West Newton, etc still have CR fares that are disproportionate.
Speaking as an inner exp pass holder.. It's still cheaper than parking downtown. But it's hard to see how these route could be not profitable for the T, given how they are packed day in and day out. Maybe it's because the senior drivers take this assignment. As long as Baker does not succeed in his quest to privatize these routes I'll be happy.

Sorry to dwell on rubber tired transit.

I would love to see fares pegged to inflation, but I imagine that would be politically impossible.