Railroad Forums 

• Main Line Elevated Cars

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1349052  by Gerry6309

The MTA Blue Egg wrote:Just wondering, I do recall riding the "modernized" 0900s in the early 60s.
I was too young to remember the actual operation of the train, just the sashed windows, the single panel sliding
door, and the growl of the traction motors.
On the vestibuled cars, was just the door by the operator cut out or were the doors on both sides of the lead vestibule
disabled?
Anyone know?

Mike
The extreme end doors of the first and last cars in a train did not open. This was accomplished by the coupler cut-out switch, which also set up the door interlock circuit. There was no reverse handle, the C-36C controller turned one way for forward, and the other way for reverse. Not opening the end doors made it easier to platform 8 car trains, where the end doors could easily miss the platforms.
 #1349185  by The MTA Blue Egg

Interesting. It makes sense since quite a few of the Main Line and Atlantic Ave. stations could barely accommodate
the 8 car consists.
That may explain the photo below. It's of a No. 2 car from 1904.
The pic isn't very good but the end of the vestibule appears to be cordoned off.
That's the only photo I've seen of that.
Could be particular to the 24 No.2 cars built by St. Louis Car, the first with the enclosed platforms.
The end doors were air operated but the center doors were still manual.
The speedy loading and unloading of these cars convinced the Elevated to enclose the platforms on all
of the No. 1 cars, 01-0150.

Mike
 #1349218  by Gerry6309

The MTA Blue Egg wrote:Interesting. It makes sense since quite a few of the Main Line and Atlantic Ave. stations could barely accommodate
the 8 car consists.
That may explain the photo below. It's of a No. 2 car from 1904.
The pic isn't very good but the end of the vestibule appears to be cordoned off.
That's the only photo I've seen of that.
Could be particular to the 24 No.2 cars built by St. Louis Car, the first with the enclosed platforms.
The end doors were air operated but the center doors were still manual.
The speedy loading and unloading of these cars convinced the Elevated to enclose the platforms on all
of the No. 1 cars, 01-0150.

Mike
These cars predate the six-button door system. Each end door was operated by a door lever outside on the end of the car. With the car uncoupled, there was no safe space for a guard to stand to operate the door. This was the origin of the practice of not opening those doors, regardless of train length. The No. 3 cars were delivered with levers on both ends which could operate the center door, as were the No. 4 cars. When the six-button system was installed after 1912, the coupler cut-out was tied in to the end doors by way of an air pressure switch, to prevent their opening. This was carried on into the MUDC era. Prior to 1908, the platform lengths varied widely, especially at certain stops in the Tremont St. Subway, where five-car trains had to overhang at both ends. The Washington St. Tunnel opened on Nov. 30, 1908 with 8 car platforms, though it would be 7 years before trains that long were operated. The motorman had a switch in the cab, which by-passed the normal door controls and allowed him to open his door. Doing so disabled the door signal circuit, so the motorman would have to look down the side of the train, insuring that the door lights were out, or use buzzer signals. With the door open, the motorman could look 30 feet down to the street in places.
 #1349405  by The MTA Blue Egg

That didn't occur to me, so used to MUDC.
The center doors were converted to air operation on the #2 cars and the #1 cars (even those in service with open platforms
as the fleet was being rebuilt with enclosed platforms)
Note the door levers on the front of 066

Mike
 #1349411  by Gerry6309

The MTA Blue Egg wrote:That didn't occur to me, so used to MUDC.
The center doors were converted to air operation on the #2 cars and the #1 cars (even those in service with open platforms
as the fleet was being rebuilt with enclosed platforms)
Note the door levers on the front of 066

Mike
Several interesting things in that photo...

First, the car appears to be derailed, it is between the two diverging switches. Perhaps the reason for the photo.

Second, although the car has door levers, it still has an open platform.

Third, much debris on the floor.

Conclusion: The car was probably out-of-service for a while and derailed while being shifted into the shop.

I have no special notes on car 066. In my above post, I did not address changes to the as-delivered equipment, since I do not know all dates of changes.
 #1350136  by jonnhrr

Last night I was reading the fascinating article in the latest Rollsign about the 1910 Dudley St. derailment.
In one of the photo captions they mentioned that the #1 cars had a sign over the center doors saying "use at your own risk" or something to that effect.
I wonder what was so hazardous about them that made them post that, especially in those days when obsession about safety was less prevalent and people were expected to have their wits about them.

Jon
 #1350184  by Gerry6309

jonnhrr wrote:Last night I was reading the fascinating article in the latest Rollsign about the 1910 Dudley St. derailment.
In one of the photo captions they mentioned that the #1 cars had a sign over the center doors saying "use at your own risk" or something to that effect.
I wonder what was so hazardous about them that made them post that, especially in those days when obsession about safety was less prevalent and people were expected to have their wits about them.

Jon
The only sign would have said Use platform exits during off peak hours, or something of the sort. After the cars were vestibuled, and all doors were regularly opened, "IN" and "OUT" signs were placed above the doors; though they were given little regard.

Can anyone spot a minor error in the article? (Hint: See the above discussion.)
 #1350202  by Gerry6309

The MTA Blue Egg wrote:There is a sign next to the center door that appears in some photos (circa 1910-1912?)
I have no clue as to what it said.
Note 075.
Anyone know?

Mike
I have a hi-def copy of that picture:
It reads:
ENTER BY
END DOOR
PERSONS
ENTERING BY
MIDDLE DOOR
DO SO AT
THEIR OWN RISK

(Nobody paid any attention so the signs were removed, along with the IN and OUT signs.)