Railroad Forums 

• BERy Trivia / Seashore Trivia

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1307332  by Gerry6309

A little Christmas Present for the head scratchers:

The Bennett Street Carhouse was built in 1911. It wiped out three city streets, each of which bore the commonly used name of a well known active volunteer at Seashore during the 1980s.

Name the three streets.

Name the three Seashore members.

Hints:

Section

Impeccable

ADT
 #1307404  by Gerry6309

BostonUrbEx wrote:Lyman St, Murray St, and Dwight St?

Gerry6309 wrote:ADT
Arthur T. Demoulas! Wait... That's not right.
Correct on the streets!

You are living up to your handle - they do not show on many maps.

I wish Mr. Demoulas was involved in Seashore :-) !

You are probably not old enough to know the Seashore people but the names and hints should lead to the answers. One more hint, two of these people used their middle names, with their first initial.
 #1307429  by Diverging Route

Gerry6309 wrote:

Correct on the streets!

You are probably not old enough to know the Seashore people but the names and hints should lead to the answers. One more hint, two of these people used their middle names, with their first initial.
Hurter, Cott, Minnich.
 #1307439  by Gerry6309

Diverging Route wrote:
Gerry6309 wrote:

Correct on the streets!

Hurter, Cott, Minnich.
2 out of 3

Lyman Hurter was a former ADT employee, who used his electrical knowledge to cobble together various signal, alarm and telephone systems at Seashore. His phone system, though altered and lacking fresh transmitter batteries, still works. It may be the last local battery, magneto phone system in the country. Lyman was also an avid model railroader who loved cats. He passed on around 1985.

C. Murray Cott was a longtime motorman at Seashore who was known for his neat and impeccably clean uniform. Even a session with the grease bucket could not leave a spot on his cuffs or sleeves. Others, including myself, could not walk within 10 feet of that bucket without acquiring a stain. Murray served as Superintendent of passenger operations, after we lost Dick Perkins and Foster Leavitt Sr. Murray looked so well in his uniform that we used to threaten to have him stuffed and put on display after he passed. (The threat was not carried out.)

D. Benton (Ben) Minnich, an early and long-time supporter of collection development did not commonly use his first name, which was Dwight.

There were (and still are) two Dwights who used the name, one of whom fits the clue.

Congrats Diverging Route
 #1307489  by Gerry6309

Diverging Route wrote:Winkley.

I was debating which to initially suggest :)
M. Dwight Winkley has held the position of Section Foreman for as long as I have been a member. He has been through a variety of people in charge of the track department, and has always been ready to assist though, like myself, age is taking its toll. Seashore is in need of some young bodies willing to take on hard work, especially track work, as rough rail is the enemy of our streetcars.

Care to take a shot at the other Dwight?
 #1307496  by BostonUrbEx

Gerry6309 wrote:
Correct on the streets! You are living up to your handle - they do not show on many maps.
Woohoo! Dwight St was the toughest. Had to do some digging for that one.
 #1307514  by Gerry6309

Here is a tougher one:

The Charles River RR was a horsecar operation serving Cambridge and Somerville. Many of their lines survive today as MBTA bus routes. They had four carhouses. Name their locations.
 #1308635  by Gerry6309

Gerry6309 wrote:Here is a tougher one:

The Charles River RR was a horsecar operation serving Cambridge and Somerville. Many of their lines survive today as MBTA bus routes. They had four carhouses. Name their locations.
Nobody bit on this one…

Hints: Warning, Season, Town, Color

Merry Christmas

Surgery on Monday (knee). I may not be able to reply for a while after that.
 #1309670  by Gerry6309

I am disappointed that nobody even guessed.

Carhouse No. 1 was on Beacon Street in Somerville. It served two lines, the main Beacon Street line to Porters Station, and the Kirkland St. line to Harvard Sq. via the back door. The Porters Station line was electrified by the West End, and is part of today's Route 83. The Kirkland St. line was abandoned by the Cambridge R.R., and was later revived by the Elevated as part of Route 86. It never operated electric cars.

Carhouse No. 2 was on Summer Street in the Spring Hill neighborhood. There were three different routes serving this location, with most cars operated via Springfield Street and Concord Av. (Somerville). This service survives as part of Route 91. There was also a service direct via Webster Av., which was considered secondary by the Cambridge R.R. and abandoned. This was also reinstated by the Elevated, never operated with electric cars, but is served by today's Route 85.

Carhouse No. 3 was on Brookline Street, Cambridge, and served a route to Cottage Farm. This route was combined with a Cambridge R.R. route on Pearl St., operating out Pearl and in Brookline. The carhouse was electrified and the route survives today as part of Route 47.

Carhouse No. 4 was on Green St. at Bay St. The Green St. line was created for the purpose of competing with the Cambridge R.R. line on Main St. (Massachusetts Av.). As such, the Cambridge had no interest in operating it, though it was not completely abandoned until the West End took over. No transit service has operated there since. The carhouse site was later used by the Elevated as a staging area for the construction of the Cambridge Subway.
 #1310269  by Gerry6309

Here is a new, easier batch of questions:

What is the oldest site continuously and currently used for transit purposes (Carhouse, Bus Garage, Other) by the MBTA within the 14 Cities and Towns.

Beyond the original 14, there was one other municipality served by the Boston Elevated. Name it.

In what districts of Boston did the Suffolk Railroad operate.

This is designed to be educational, there is no penalty for guessing.
 #1310284  by The EGE

Stoneham? BERy maps consistently show the 99 poking over the Stoneham border to where it met the Eastern Mass.

I suspect the oldest site would be Reservoir.
 #1310291  by Gerry6309

The EGE wrote:Stoneham? BERy maps consistently show the 99 poking over the Stoneham border to where it met the Eastern Mass.

I suspect the oldest site would be Reservoir.
The Stoneham line was still shared with the Eastern Mass, which held the rights within the town. The route in question was operated solely by the Elevated.

Reservoir was opened in 1892, the correct answer is much older.