Railroad Forums 

• Mind The Gap

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1201765  by Trainer

I was in Boston this weekend and rode the "T" several times (best system in the world, imnsho) and was reminded of this film, which a friend produced years ago, filmed on and around MBTA equipment and people. She agreed to let me share it with you here.

This is a story that is seldom told but many here could probably tell it, or tell parts of it. I think it is told respectfully.

http://vimeo.com/11827457" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1201883  by 3rdrail

Good movie, realistically portrayed with the event which as you say, is an event which we see happening all to often lately. (The only thing that irked me frankly, was them referring to the Operator as a Conductor continually- Aaaaaaa!!!!!) I read it as two persons being effected by an incident differently and (probably) needing a different approach to any counseling and de-briefing (if any). Railway vehicles just don't strike and throw a whole human body, killing it, usually. They usually drag it under, mutilating it horribly or strike it with such force as to liquefy the body instantaneously. Compounded with often falsely assumed guilt by the Operator, these post-accident scenes can be permanently haunting. There may be an assumption to think that in this flick that the daughter is of healthy mind-set and that her dad may be the one with the problem. It may be the other way around. Connection with a family member, especially one close such as Dad here, might infect a family member, loved one, or even friend such as the daughter. Her defiance in dealing with the emotional events of the incident, I thought, were very telling, and I thought that her grabbing her pack and virtually fleeing from the counselor spoke volumes indicating that it may not be dad in this family who needs the counseling more.
 #1202086  by joshg1

Good movie? Great little movie! On the MBTA Rail Operations aspect I have nothing to add. But mental health (too broad a term) is something I know about, and I'm glad the film makers showed that everyone is different. We usually see melodrama or morality tales. If you haven't seen this yet I highly recommend it. Locations?
 #1202187  by 3rdrail

I'll stay with good. "Chinatown" and "Vertigo" were great movies. Not a slam on the movie because of it's time, a short subject. For "greatness", I would want to be drawn into Dad and Daughter prior to this incident to see how they reacted and felt to accidents, death, etc. If this involved a universal human truth, less time would be needed, but it's not. Some people would blow this experience off in a heartbeat and be at the karaoke bar that night ! Some will commit suicide.