Railroad Forums 

• Interesting Consist Discussion for the South Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1424927  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Was on Train 025 Mon. night on an exceedingly rare all-flats set on the Old Colony. Containing exceedingly rare-for-Old Colony 600-series Bombardier coaches lacking automatic doors, which confused the hell out of passengers who had to go sprinting to the adjacent Pullmans to get off. Guessing that was a one-off equipment bump from somewhere else.

Also, the 150x cab was pumping out the new ASA announcements...first time I've ever seen the new announcements activated on any non-Rotem or non-1700 rebuild cab. No LED displays on any of the cars, but it was pumping out full glitch-free audio (something the the Brokem cabs rarely do!).
 #1431714  by dbperry

Welded rail train is on the Framingham-Worcester with 1075 and 904 as power today. It was INSIDE Back Bay station at about 1 PM and then subsequently spotted near Yawkey. Rumor was it was supposed to drop rail between CP 3 and CP COVE. It had moved from the North Side to the "4th Iron" in Framingham on Friday 5/12/17. Probably go back there for storage tonight, but I'm just guessing about that.

https://twitter.com/FramWorMBTA/status/ ... 1468386304" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1431778  by dbperry

No. it's CWR. I couldn't see if any got dropped there but I'm assuming it's just getting replaced.
 #1432251  by sonicdoommario

Providence train 2815 (8:45PM outbound) had the control car facing forward and the locomotive in the back, like an inbound train. It was 4 doubles (control car 1717 I think) and a single, with GP1123 I believe.

Now, I don't know the turn schedule for the Providence weekend trains. Does this train layover in Pawtucket or turn around and become the last inbound train (2818, 10:00PM)? Don't think it can be the latter, since it would arrive at Providence at 9:50 and have roughly 10 minutes to turn around (unless the track switch happens after it leaves the station).

Also, how are locomotives/cars flipped around? Is there a looping track or a turntable or anything (or am I thinking too much Island of Sodor with the last one)?

EDIT: 2815 did in fact turn to 2818, so the locomotive was facing forward for the inbound trip. So back to Boston for the night.
 #1432266  by nomis

2818 should make the last RT to Franklin and come back to Boston for the night.
 #1432268  by MBTA3247

There's both a wye and a loop at Southampton Street that a train could turn on. Northside trains have a wye around BET.
 #1432835  by harshaw

The other day I saw 5 car set in MassDOT livery in revenue service on the Worcester line. 1530 was the CTC.

I assume this is a cape flyer set that MBTA borrowed?

EDIT: maybe it was the 6 car set mentioned above?? lol
 #1432939  by dbperry

harshaw wrote:The other day I saw 5 car set in MassDOT livery in revenue service on the Worcester line. 1530 was the CTC.

I assume this is a cape flyer set that MBTA borrowed?

EDIT: maybe it was the 6 car set mentioned above?? lol
Supposedly there are two "MassDOT" sets in circulation on the south side. One is CapeFlyer and one is an all-flat set designated to be used on the "HeartToHub" P552/P552 bullet train (and the corresponding 'positioning' moves for those trains which are revenue trips P505 & P530). That's what I was told before 5/22 but I'm not sure how things are really playing out.

Part of reason for placing the MassDOT set into service on F-W Commuter Rail is that the expansion of Framingham-Worcester service in the AM required one completely additional set beyond the contractual requirement that MBTA has with Keolis for fleet size. More about the "additional set" at item #3a in this blog post: http://framwormbta.weebly.com/blog/comp ... -available" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;