Railroad Forums 

• Orange Line Paint?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#7692  by helium

Has anyone noticed all the crap on the windows and sides of the Orange Line trains recently? What is it? It looks like it was falling from above as the trains went by, as it is streaked backward (or forward, I guess, depending). Typically, the T hasn't cleaned them yet, even though it's been at least 2 weeks. Does anyone there have an inkling of pride?
 #7699  by McTed

First, it is unfair to paint the entire Orange line or MBTA with such a broad brush questioning employee personal pride in the work. Second, your observations about the material spilled all over the Orange cars are accurate. But if you paid a little more attention the fact that the Orange line runs directly under the upper and lower deck section of the big dig which they are currently demolishing and spraying with water to keep the dust down, you would realize the material on the Orange line cars is more then likely wet concrete dust.

#8067  by helium

unfair? have you ever ridden on the line, or the T? if it is big dig mess, the least they could do is wash the train. i get on at oak grove, and consistently see the conductor walking through the car before it pulls out, and KICKING papers under the seats, rather than pick them up. clearly, people are pigs, but if the guy is going to bother kicking the paper, then the least he could do is pick it up. and what about the announcer guy or girl? they have a simple job, and rarely do they announce the station so you can understand it, but they also miss important connections. if i was the manager of that line, the idiots who can't be bothered to say "Downtown Crossing, change here for the Red, Green & Silver lines" would be out on their ass. of course, they're probably protected by some union slacker.

#8073  by Xplorer2000

wow....
Okay, its not just the Orange line that has neatness problems. But, the solution is simple: have a couple of these contract cleaners that you see all over the place in the stations based at the end points of the various lines. When the train pulls in, they spend about 10 or so minutes(off peak... there's no time during peak hours) cleaning the papers, and if time permits , mopping up any egregious spills. Problem solved.as for the outsides.....not much you can do there, I don't think they have a wash rack for these cars.

#8089  by NealG

Xplorer2000 wrote:wow....
Okay, its not just the Orange line that has neatness problems. But, the solution is simple: have a couple of these contract cleaners that you see all over the place in the stations based at the end points of the various lines. When the train pulls in, they spend about 10 or so minutes(off peak... there's no time during peak hours) cleaning the papers, and if time permits , mopping up any egregious spills. Problem solved.as for the outsides.....not much you can do there, I don't think they have a wash rack for these cars.
Thats exactly what is done in NYC. I have seen it many times at Dittmars Blvd terminal on the N and W trains.

#8101  by octr202

Actually, this may be done already in some circumstances...of course on the Red Line. My boss reported seeing cleaners sweeping cars at Alewife...during the morning rush no less, a couple weeks ago. I've also noticed that over the last couple of months, someone is cleaning the Red Line cars during the day. Not too long ago, I got on a train at Kendall about 4:30 pm that was practically spotless inside, the floors were shining and the it even smelled of cleaning chemical of some kind. Since it was an 01800, I almost didn't think I was on the T anymore.

Of course, I'm sure that the Orange Line isn't getting such nice treatment...

#8304  by efin98

There might have been a reason why the cars were not clean, like the train was a fill in for another train and didn't have a chance to get cleaned. This happens sometimes, just the luck of the draw. The line isn't too bad if you consider that the Blue Line rarely gets cleaned inside. Too many times I have found newspapers that were a few days old and floors that make your shoes stick in place if left in the same spot for more than a minute.
Contracting cleaners at the end points might help out alot, one cleaner at the ends of the line is better than no cleaners at all. Besides, the T isn't directly fronting the costs of the cleaning. Savings in the long run over the course of the contract.

#8988  by nightowl

Actually it seems like they do have a wash rack. I've been seeing trains that were definitely cleaned recently... only to have them travel under the leaking big dig construction/demolition again. The mud residue has become quite a common feature on all the trains. If anything it is forcing the T to clean the exteriors, much more frequently. Of course the interiors are another matter, on Thursday I got to read an article I missed in the Sunday Globe.

#9188  by efin98

I didn't say they didn't, I said they didn't have time to wash them.

#9234  by jrc520

they do have a wash rack. it's @ wellington. inside. far from the station(farthest bay from the station infact.)