Railroad Forums 

• Cape Flyer

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1474838  by RenegadeMonster

The Cape flyer set is 221-bike car, 224-café, 502, 506, 521, 1528.

According to NETransit the 5xx cars have 88 to 94 seats. The 15xx have 96 seats. I'm not sure on the bike car or the café car as they obviously have less seats than the 114 a standard 2xx would have. Anyone know their capacity?
 #1474842  by GP40MC1118

20 for that Monday going to the Cape is all that not surprising. It's too bad the T
didn't run a Tuesday off-Cape train for the folks who wanted to stay down there all day Monday.
But - considering a full commuter schedule Tuesday, crew and equipment restraints maybe
not that surprising.
 #1474907  by StefanW

RenegadeMonster wrote:The Cape flyer set is 221-bike car, 224-café, 502, 506, 521, 1528.
1528 was the CTC apparently only for that first weekend of May 25-28. Tonight (Friday June 1) the real-time data was giving 1533 instead of 1528. Looks like they made up a new consist.

I say "was giving" because the only real-time data so far this year that has had the CapeFlyer in it is the old, original, deprecated data feed. (That's the one that craps out regularly https://sites.harvard.edu/~wuensch/T/commuter-rail-map.html like it is now - dead since the CapeFlyer was approaching Hyannis.)
Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 9.23.04 PM.png
Unfortunately also this year it looks like the newer data feeds version 2 https://sites.harvard.edu/~wuensch/T/commuter-rail-map-v2.html and version 3 https://sites.harvard.edu/~wuensch/T/commuter-rail-map-v3.html again won't have the CapeFlyer in them. As I type this at 9:20 PM the inbound/return trip ought to be somewhere around Barnstable or Sandwich but it's not showing up in the data.

Rest assured I'm yet again going to push to get the CapeFlyer included in the real-time data for tracking... but don't hold your breath.
 #1474927  by Arborwayfan

I wonder if CCRTA would attract more passengers if they (a) had on their website an explanation, with links, of how to catch the P&B on weekdays, when there is not so much traffic and probably more space on the buses and/or (b) subsidized Cape Cod Central to run a trip or two to Middleborough, either every summer weekday or just on days like Tuesday morning after a long weekend. Doesn't CCRR even have a working RDC?

Back in the 80s there was the CC&H subsidized train to Braintree; later on, or at the same time (?) there were connecting trains to Falmouth from Buzzards Bay that connected with the Amtrak Cape Codder, and I think also weekday trains from Attleboro. I'm not sure how any of those did; I assume they cost too much for the benefit the funders saw. But a connection to commuter rail, where you could get off the train, stay on the same platform, and have your connecting train pull up to the same platform, would be easier than the Red Line connection ever was.
 #1475382  by MickD

No..Unfortunately no cross ticketing..Which would benefit Cape residents..
I actually use Peter Pan if I'm goin' up to Boston on fridays and takin' The Flyer back..
PP makes no stops after Sagamore,where P&B stops at Plymouth & Rockland...
 #1475954  by jonnhrr

A number of the morning and evening P&B runs are express between Sagamore and South Station.
Last edited by CRail on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
 #1476216  by MickD

There are a few P&B non stop early in the morning weekdays,but none after 8:30,
and none on weekends...
 #1478442  by Larry

With this latest Heat wave and it being Fourth of July, how is the Flyer doing on numbers this past weekend?
 #1478465  by Noel Weaver

I was wondering the same thing?????

Noel Weaver
Last edited by CRail on Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
 #1478472  by Rockingham Racer

Reporting of passenger loads this year is negligible compared to past years. Not surprising, since the service has been around some years, I suppose.
 #1478509  by smsullivan11

I think it's a case of things just being what they are and not really much to report on. There's not a huge increase or decrease from years past and there really have not been many improvements on either side of the canal that result in major speed increases or shorter ride times.
 #1478532  by mgdemarco

One small tweak this year is the café car is in the middle of the set and it has been rotated 180 compared to the previous years.