Railroad Forums 

• New Diesels for MARC & VRE

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#972534  by chucksc

strench707 wrote:Does Fredericksburg keep a protect?

Davis
Given the historical (or is that hysterical?) performance of Crossroads Maintenance, they would need damn near a 1 for 1...

for reference search this board and T/O dot com for the "not so" Great (Runaway) Train Chase! or just call CSX dispatch and speak to them about it.....
(some mech in a hurry cut out the brakes on a set without chocking the wheels or setting the hand brake - X-Roads is uphill from the RF&P main - you fill in the rest :)
 #973506  by surytcw

I sent an email to VRE asking about using any old locomotives for Clifton Day, and got a reply saying they were all sold. I guess that includes V20 and V23?
 #973902  by cobra30689

surytcw wrote:I sent an email to VRE asking about using any old locomotives for Clifton Day, and got a reply saying they were all sold. I guess that includes V20 and V23?
As I said in a previous post, V20 and V23 are protects, and to the best of my knowledge they are being kept. V36(the F40)is in Broad Run, don't know what its future is though.
 #973918  by strench707

V36(the F40)is in Broad Run, don't know what its future is though.
Life goal is to catch that thing run again lol, last time I caught it was in Jan or Feb. They used it on last year's Clifton Day too...

Davis
 #975672  by chucksc

FWIW - V69 (what an interesting number, eh? ;)) was delivered to Broad Run earlier this week - that pretty much completes VRE's motive power order IIRC....
 #981466  by strench707

The Consist shared by VRE Trains 328 / 325 / 336 / 329 had VRE GP40PH-2 #V20 on the North end of the train just ahead of the Cab Car #V719, and had MP36PH-3C #V63 on the South end of the train. Had the standard eight coaches including the cab car in the count.

Anyone know why it was running like this? Both engines were online, so maybe a problem with the Cab Car?

Davis
 #982722  by oknazevad

strench707 wrote:The Consist shared by VRE Trains 328 / 325 / 336 / 329 had VRE GP40PH-2 #V20 on the North end of the train just ahead of the Cab Car #V719, and had MP36PH-3C #V63 on the South end of the train. Had the standard eight coaches including the cab car in the count.

Anyone know why it was running like this? Both engines were online, so maybe a problem with the Cab Car?

Davis
That's seems the most logical explanation. Probably the cab car crapped out, so they put a rescue loco on the cab end. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what the remaining Geeps are being used for, correct: yard switchers and rescue units? How many are remaining with the MPX's now in service?
 #982725  by chucksc

oknazevad wrote:
strench707 wrote:The Consist shared by VRE Trains 328 / 325 / 336 / 329 had VRE GP40PH-2 #V20 on the North end of the train just ahead of the Cab Car #V719, and had MP36PH-3C #V63 on the South end of the train. Had the standard eight coaches including the cab car in the count.

Davis
That's seems the most logical explanation. Probably the cab car crapped out, so they put a rescue loco on the cab end. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what the remaining Geeps are being used for, correct: yard switchers and rescue units? How many are remaining with the MPX's now in service?
2 GP40s and there is also a F40 #V36 (a screamer) stored at Broad Run (Unlike the V20 and V23 I haven't seen her run in months)
 #982895  by strench707

I was hoping for the V36 to come out but no luck. The V20 still had a hell of a K5LA on her, a nice change of pace from all of the other god awful horns that are the standard on VRE equipment. Does anyone know what kind of shape the V36 is in? That's too bad she isn't one of their more reliable units...

Davis
 #985489  by davinp

Davis
One morning in October Fredericksburg Train #306/307 had the V50 in front of the cab car and the other end had the V57. Both engines were running. I think something must be wrong with the cab that day. This configuration only lasted 2 days
 #1011205  by davinp

surytcw wrote:VRE updated their equipment page today. It looks like their last F40 left, along with all the GP39's.
The V33-V36 were leased locomotives, so VRE couldn't have sold them. They must have ended the lease and returned them to the leaser. Before the page was updated, it showed they still had 3 of them.
 #1012226  by ns3010

davinp wrote:
surytcw wrote:VRE updated their equipment page today. It looks like their last F40 left, along with all the GP39's.
The V33-V36 were leased locomotives, so VRE couldn't have sold them. They must have ended the lease and returned them to the leaser. Before the page was updated, it showed they still had 3 of them.
Who were they leased from?

V30, V31, and V32 were most recently seen in various parts of the eastern US. V30 and V31 haven't been seen since spring 2010 in Philadelphia and Massachusetts, respectively:
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2067769
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2002430

V32 was seen at Progress Rail Services in Mayfield, KY on Christmas Eve:
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2852596

None of the photos are mine.
 #1016603  by davinp

A source reports that V34-V36 are still on the VRE property, but are due to leave within a few weeks. They, too, are RWL lease units, so it is anyone's guess where they will end up.
 #1016836  by electricron

Now that all of the MP-36s have entered service for both MARC and VRE, can anyone state what maximum speeds they have been certified at?
I assume 79 mph for VRE on both CSX and NS corridors. I assume 79 mph for MARC on CSX corridor, but what specifically is their max speed for Amtrak's NEC?