Metro to study congestion improvements for BL/OR/SV

Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, Robert Paniagua, therock

YOLO

Metro to study congestion improvements for BL/OR/SV

Post by YOLO » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:04 pm

https://www.wmata.com/initiatives/plans/BOS-Study.cfm

The Georgetown tunnel could pop up as a recommendation, also interesting to note that one of the graphics seem to suggest possibly running more than 26 trains per hour thru DC (even though they refuse to do so ATM)

Sand Box John

Re: Metro to study congestion improvements for BL/OR/SV

Post by Sand Box John » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:19 pm

"YOLO"
The Georgetown tunnel could pop up as a recommendation, also interesting to note that one of the graphics seem to suggest possibly running more than 26 trains per hour thru DC (even though they refuse to do so ATM)

It also proves what I have been saying for more then 25 years. WMATA has had a rolling stock shortage sense the extension of the Yellow line to Huntington on 12 17 1983.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.

danib62

Post by danib62 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:15 am

In my opinion anything short of another east/west tunnel through the district really isn't going to accomplish anything
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."

gprimr1

Post by gprimr1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:58 pm

A new tunnel for the Cross Town Express Service.

Trains in the tunnel will stop at Rosslyn, Metro Center, Le'Fante Plaza, and Stadium Armory. Orange/Silver/Blue trains will make all local stops on the East and West sides of the boundary stations and operate express in the tunnel. Ideally, a future phase two would extend a third track to Dulles Airport for an Airport Flyer service.

The existing tunnel would be used for a cross town local service.
-Greg Primrose
Moderator: General Discussion: High Speed Rail Amtrak
"I'm leaving on a jet train, don't know when I'll be back again. Bags are packed and there ready to go."
Ave Atque Vale

TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:17 pm

danib62 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:15 am
In my opinion anything short of another east/west tunnel through the district really isn't going to accomplish anything
Agreed. Sand Box John’s map of the M Street Subway, shown with the extension to D&G Junction, is my preference for expanding the system. Anything else isn’t likely to make a big enough difference for the enormous cost that any improvement capable of moving the needle would incur.

Alternatively, a commitment to build more 7000-series trains and actually use them to the maximum extent allowed by the signaling would work too.

Return to “DC - Maryland - Virginia Area Passenger Rail: MTA(MARC), VRE, WMATA(Metro)”