Railroad Forums 

• VRE to retire the last of the old gallery cars

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1426964  by davinp

VRE has received 4 brand new gallery cars to replace the 4 old gallery cars on Train #312. After these are removed from service, there will be no more old gallery cars in service meaning the entire fleet will be made of new cars.

In addition, VRE has purchased 9 more new gallery cars to lengthen some trains.

While VRE has sold many old gallery cars, they are keeping some old gallery cars in storage and can be used as spares.
 #1429043  by STrRedWolf

Railman1396 wrote:They are pictures from my phone, the extension is .jpg.

I will send them to my desktop and try from there.
Depends on the browser on the phone, and I bet they're full size and blowing the board limit. A mod can check.

You may want to upload them to Imgur -- there's some dedicated apps that'll upload it properly and give you the link for here.
 #1429269  by Railman1396

The last cars are being retired this week, one last one should be in a Manassas train on Friday. Then they are all out of service.

They are going to the Foxville and Northern Railroad, according to the board meeting minutes from VRE. Anyone know anything about them? what they will use the cars for? Hopefully not scrap...

I have these pictures of the interiors I found online.
inside3.png
inside2.png
inside1.png
 #1429336  by JDC

Great photos. I always wondered what the interior looked like (I've never been on a two-level train).
 #1429370  by STrRedWolf

JDC wrote:Great photos. I always wondered what the interior looked like (I've never been on a two-level train).
Yeah... I took a tour through one when Amtrak had National Train Day down in DC. I... can agree with the nickname "cattle car" and thought it couldn't hold more than the MARC III's. Just didn't look like it could handle the load.
 #1430077  by JDC

Were the white metal racks down the center (bolted to the second level) for luggage? To prevent falls?