Railroad Forums 

• WMATA - speed controls

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1408031  by JDC

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/tr ... d=sm_tw_pl

The article above discusses current slow speed zones, but it also discussion 'speeding' that recently occurred on the Silver line. In response, sometime over the next 2 years Metro will implement software changes preventing trains from going above 60 MPH. The article also discusses something I did not know, that "[t]here are stretches of the Green Line designed to handle speeds up to 79 mph — from Georgia Avenue to Greenbelt and from Anacostia to Branch Avenue — where trains are allowed to travel 65 mph." That will end under the new practice.
 #1408076  by JackRussell

JDC wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/tr ... d=sm_tw_pl

The article above discusses current slow speed zones, but it also discussion 'speeding' that recently occurred on the Silver line. In response, sometime over the next 2 years Metro will implement software changes preventing trains from going above 60 MPH. The article also discusses something I did not know, that "[t]here are stretches of the Green Line designed to handle speeds up to 79 mph — from Georgia Avenue to Greenbelt and from Anacostia to Branch Avenue — where trains are allowed to travel 65 mph." That will end under the new practice.
I have seen Orange line trains exceed this when in the I-66 median. I used my cell phone with a GPS app to measure the actual speed - my recollection was that we hit 70mph.
 #1408103  by Sand Box John

"JDC"

There are several dozen segments on the railroad that have a civil speed limits that are above 70 MPH plus. As a matter of fact every line both on the surface and in subway have segments with 70 MPH plus civil speed limits. When trains are operated in automatic mode the regulated speed limit transmitted from wayside train control will hold a train below civil speed limit (limiting speed) when displaying a lower regulated speed.

The software change is something that will be done at wayside train control. In my opinion what should be done is make the software change in the rolling stock so trains can not be operated in manual mode above the regulated speed limit. The limiting speed is hard coded in wayside train control the regulated speed limit is adjustable and set by ROCC.