Railroad Forums 

• BL service increase is possible with SV line

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1281728  by Sand Box John

"DiscoveryAnalysis"

In the 90s we could get away with 2 min headways with no problems, however Bowersox without directly saying so alluded that the system is no longer reliable and running trains at the max rate will produce delays and even more angry passengers and lower OTP (on time performance), an alternate involves a slight of hand trick. Max out the headways at 90-120 seconds but utilizes 4 car trains.

4 car trains operating at 2-3 min headways have the same load capacity as an 8 car operating at 6 mins. With the appearance of more frequent service without increasing the need of rolling stock.

Sounds good in theory, the problem is the capacity of the trains are maxed out today running longer trains on longer headways. You are basically replacing 10lb of excrement in an 8lb bag with 10lb of excrement in 2 4lb bags.

I also had a recommendation to short turn some BL trains. Operate a 4 pack from Franconia to Rosslyn, crossover at C06 interlocking to TRK2 w/ a drop back operator aboard. Service Rosslyn 2 and reverse back to Franconia. This could be accomplished in the 4 min gap that I created in my timetable earlier. Also it provides a same level transfer for passengers staying in VA.

WMATA did that a over a few years on the 4th of July around the turn of the century when they did the "Independence Day Revolutionary Service" pattern, It worked reasonably well primarily because most passengers were not heading to stations along the I Street corridor. The problem with doing it during peak is the railroad operates most efficiently when trains are run in the same direction. Turning trains back at Rosslyn would tie up the junction twice as long compared to just running them through to their normal eastern terminals.
 #1281955  by JDC

I concur. Although mathematically two 4-car trains is the same as one 8-car train, I don't think that the real world of passengers and crowding and bunching would support that model. Even if trains came more often (i.e. a 4 car train), every time an 8-car train comes at L'Enfant I thank the rail gods and stand at the end of the train where there is no crowding and I can easily get onboard and find a seat.