Railroad Forums 

• Alco RS1, RS2, RS3 on commuter trains

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#913091  by mp15ac

The reason the C-Liners and the C-420's 200-221 only lasted 15 years was that they were leased, not owned. At the end of the lease they were returned/retired.

Stuart
 #913097  by Tommy Meehan

Funny thing is, I've always thought of the GP-38 as being the replacement unit for the old roadswitchers, the Alco RS2 and RS3. They were just a bit more powerful with 400 extra horsepower but were full-sized power as were the RS3s in their day. Could switch, run passenger, work local freight or get coupled up in a road consist.

I remember riding behind GP38s out of HP or LIC. Sitting in the front coach near the front of the car. In moderate weather the crew sometimes left the end door open. You could really hear the unit rev up, watch it sway and bounce as you took off.

With the blue and white paint job I sometimes felt like I was riding on the Missouri Pacific. :)

Did any other road use GP38s in passenger service? Algoma Central is the only one I can think of.
 #913143  by MEC407

Well, are we talking about GP38s or GP38-2s?
 #913157  by MEC407

Touché
 #913263  by MEC407

OK. Ontario Northland runs GP38-2s in passenger service... that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.
 #914039  by Tadman

Back in the day, the Chihuahua Pacific ran a real mix of EMD hood units on passenger, I can only imagine it included '38's. I have no idea what they run now.

That, and the NICTD/South Shore has a '38 for maintenance and emergencies. It's been known to pick up new MU's and tote them from the interchange to the shops for setup. No revenue service though.
 #914059  by keyboardkat

Tadman wrote:Back in the day, the Chihuahua Pacific ran a real mix of EMD hood units on passenger, I can only imagine it included '38's. I have no idea what they run now.

That, and the NICTD/South Shore has a '38 for maintenance and emergencies. It's been known to pick up new MU's and tote them from the interchange to the shops for setup. No revenue service though.
I think the NICTD/South Shore unit is the only one built without MU capability.

And Chihuahua Pacific, back in the days, was a good Fairbanks-Morse customer.
 #927588  by Ocala Mike

From "Trains" magazine's glossary:

Road unit
A diesel locomotive designed for getting trains over the road rather than for switching cars. A road unit has trucks that ride well at speed, gearing that keeps traction motor speed down and axle speed up, and a high-horsepower prime mover.

Road-switcher
In the early days of dieselization, units were intended for specific duties, such as switching in the yard or getting a train over the road. The road-switcher was developed as a multi-purpose locomotive, essentially a stretched switcher on road trucks and geared for mainline speeds, often equipped with a steam generator for heating passenger cars.
 #927593  by railfan365

Ocala Mike wrote:From "Trains" magazine's glossary:

Road unit
A diesel locomotive designed for getting trains over the road rather than for switching cars. A road unit has trucks that ride well at speed, gearing that keeps traction motor speed down and axle speed up, and a high-horsepower prime mover.

Road-switcher
In the early days of dieselization, units were intended for specific duties, such as switching in the yard or getting a train over the road. The road-switcher was developed as a multi-purpose locomotive, essentially a stretched switcher on road trucks and geared for mainline speeds, often equipped with a steam generator for heating passenger cars.
Thans, Mike. This confirms what I was wondering - if a road switcher is a locomotive that is good for road or yard work. As in EMD's MP series of locomotives, for Multi Purpose.