Railroad Forums 

• GC-Mitchell Field Secondary going bye bye???

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#2965  by GP38

JMBethpage, I love your freight photo (certainly better than the stupid B/W gun one the other guy is using), but have mercy on those of us that have dial-up.....use the thumbnail for your avatar instead because it also narrows the width of the posts.
Again, cool photo though.

#3022  by NIMBYkiller

Hey King of the Nazgul, looks like people do agree with me!

I too agree that the central from GC to Btower needs to be relayed. Double track it and put in all the old stations. East Meadow and Levittown would either praise the line or rip it up with their bare hands. If I had the money, I'd be more than willing to build the line and find out. Give them the sufficient service and the bitching will be very breif.

As far as what should run on it...well....from a historic POV, main line trains(KO and Greenport) should stay on the main. Montauk trains would take the central as they used to do(well, atleast they did to Babylon).

IDK bout NYA on the central...they may be better off "sticking with their guns"(the main line) to avoid more bitching. Also, non-revenue trains going to yards or w/e would also use the central.

#3056  by Knife-Switch

>the man with the gun was the police chief of Saigon and he presently owns a Vietnamese restaurant in Los Angeles.
More inaccurate research.

The General died 7.14.98

SPRINGFIELD, VA (AP) - Nguyen Ngoc Loan, whose execution of a Viet Cong prisoner on the streets of Saigon in 1968 became one of the most chilling images of the Vietnam War, died Tuesday. He was 67. The former South Vietnamese general died of cancer at his home in Burke, a Washington suburb. He fled South Vietnam in 1975, the year the communists overran the country, and moved to Virginia, where he opened a restaurant.
On Feb. 1, 1968, Loan was director of South Vietnam's national police and the North Vietnamese had just begun the Tet Offensive, their huge military push southward. Firefights had broken out all over Saigon, and Loan's police were trying to rid the South Vietnamese capital of Viet Cong guerrillas. Loan led the prisoner, his hands bound, onto a street corner and in front of a group of journalists pulled his pistol and shot the prisoner point-blank in the head. The general told the newsmen that the prisoner was a known Viet Cong captain.
Eddie Adams' photo of the execution won a Pulitzer Prize for The Associated Press. NBC also showed film of the execution. Adams said yesterday that Gen. Loan's actions were misinterpreted because of the picture. "The guy was a hero. America should be crying," said Adams, now a free-lance photographer. "I just hate to see him go this way, without people knowing anything about him." Adams said the man Loan shot had been seen killing others and that Loan was justified in executing him.

If you only see this photo as obscene, you are perfectly entitled to that opinion. I personally see the photo as something that captures the ultimate image of mans inhumanity to man and its cyclical nature. Not to mention the very valid hypothesis posted by Legio. It can also serve as a reminder that no matter how bad of day you're having, it could always be much worse. But fear not oh weak stomached viewers, I will just mosey on back to the NYAR Forum and take my sick and twisted perspective with me.
B-Whacker

#3118  by Legio X

Legio X, the Tenth Legion......Caesar's "Lucky Tenth"

#3393  by 9C1LT1

Well it's happening.... Crews were surveying the old Central Branch crossing just before the track crosses the Medowbrook Parkway. After asking what was going on, they will be taking out the crossing and track sometime this year!!! It seems after 2004 all that will be left will be the track that the circus train uses. That line goes so close to RF mall... It could take so many cars off the road, another loss for mass transit.

#3417  by NIMBYkiller

Wo wo wo! They wanna tear out the tracks near the meadowbrook on the old spur!? OH HELL NO!

#3614  by JMBethpage

9C1LT1- Are you referring to the section of track north or south of the Meadowbrook? The part near Zeckendorf Blvd. or near Stewart Ave? Or both? (the Pkwy. runs E-W in that area)
 #3616  by JoeLIRR

WAT JOKE......
THE MTA HAS A MULTI TRILLION DOLLAR EXPANSION YET THEY WANT TO RIP OUT A SOURSE OF MORE COSTOMER MONEY.... I DONT UNDERSTAND THEM IDIOTS.

JARAD, WE CANT LET THE NIMBY'S HAVE WHAT THEY WANT, NOR CAN WE LET THE TRACKS GO.....
WE MUST TRY TO SAVE IT.... "PROJECT PERSERVE LIRR HISTORY"
THOES TRACKS AINT BOTHERING ANYONE. IF ANY WORK IS TO BE DONE IT SHOULD ENVOLVE ROAD PAVING, THE RR IS IN BETTER CONDITION THEN ITS WORNGFULL AND HIGHLY POLUTIVE SUCCESSOR.

I WANL THOES TRACKS ALL THE TIME. THEY R IN BETTER CONDITOND THEN THEY ARE BEHIND NCC, ATLEAST TILL THE XING AFTER THE PARKWAY GOING NORTH.

#3717  by 9C1LT1

Hi Guys,

Joe, when you leave college next week drive past the crossing just south of the Meadowbrook Pwky. Maybe the work crew will still be there. From what I was told, that whole section is going bye, bye. I think it really might happen because in the last few months other crossings were ripped out. You guys better do something fast, although I don't know what you can do...

-Barry

#3771  by NIMBYkiller

GRRRAHHH!!!!!!! DAMN THEM!!!!!
 #3813  by JoeLIRR

JARAD,
the only thing i can think of is to protest this demolition.
it sounds weard but its not.

they dont know what they r doing. Im seeing a multi million dollar loss with this distruction.... IT'S TIME TO DO SOMETHING NOW. WE CANT LET IT SIT. THOES NIMBY SHITS CAN EAT DEISEL FUEL &OIL WHEN WE GET DONE WITH THEM.
NOTE TO LIRR/MTA:

THE DISTRUCTION AND NOW COMPLEET LOSS OF THE GC SECONDAY IS A STUPID A HIGHILY NON EDUCATED DICISSION. AND THE NIMBY'S AND OTHERS INVOLVES IN THE DEMISE SHOULD PAY OUT THERE ASS FOR THIS...... :( :(

#3896  by NIMBYkiller

Members of RR.net(and anyone else who gives a damn). We must ban together to stop the destruction of this great piece of history and tool of the future! Contact the MTA via telephone and let them know just how big of a mistake they are making. Contact the county offices, tell them to put a stop to this, especially when they are in the middle of studying new routes for the nassau hub.
 #4022  by JoeLIRR

Common EVERY ONE WHO CARES ABOUT THE FEUTURE OF THE LIRR

DONT LET THE MTA/NIMBYS RUNE THE HELL OUT OF ANY CENTRAL BRANCH. THEY HAVE NO CLUE WAHT THEY ARE SAYING...

THE RR IS JUST LETTING IT SLIPAWAY FOR EVER INTO HISTORY...

REMBER:NIMBYS IN GARDEN CITY & LEVITTOWN, UR TOWNS ARE OWED TO THE RR TRACKS THAT U JERKS DONT WANT NO MORE. MABY THE RR SHOULD TAKE THOES HOUSED BACK ALSO.

LETS SHOW THE MTA/LIRR WHAT MISTAKE THEY ARE MAKING;
IF ONE CAN PROTEST IN FRONT OF THE WHITE HOUSE WE CAN DEFENITLY MAKE SOME KIND OF A DIFFRENCE. "LET'S ROLE"

#4925  by RRChef

I was in the area of Roosevelt Field today and I drove around the area to see if there was any activity on the freight spur over the Meadowbrook. I saw nothing. No crews, no new markings on the roads or crossings, Nothing. Can anyone confirm that this is being torn out?

#8781  by LI Loco

Nassau County is conducting a Major Investment Study on transportation alternatives for the "Hub" district that incorporates utilizing the Garden City secondary as a dedicated right-of-way for either LRT, BRT or an automated fixed guideway technology, e.g. monorail, people mover.

You can read about it on the County web site:

http://www.co.nassau.ny.us/eda/HubProjUpdate121903.pdf

The "Hub" includes parts of Mineola, Garden City, Hempstead, Uniondale, Carle Place and Westbury. Within its boundaries are Roosevelt Field, Source Mall, Nassau CC, Hofstra U, Nassau Coliseum, the Marriott Hotel and the EAB building.